• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Wheel axle fixing

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
StephenB

Wheel axle fixing

Post by StephenB »

With a gliders single main wheel generally housed in a shroud what is the preferred method of securing the axle? I know collets are often used on powered models and I was able to use them on my Fauvette build due to the configuration of the wheel housing. It's a bit trickier on my smaller SF33 build though.

I'm planning to secure the axle with a dab of epoxy at each end, this will mean that the axle won't rotate of course, but the wheel happily spins on it. Any problem with this, or is there another/better way of doing it?
Peter Balcombe

Re: Wheel axle fixing

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Hi Stephen, I think your methods are fine.
On the models that I have built, the axle normally goes through metal or epoxy sheet axle support strips bonded to the inside of the wheel well & then balsa fairing on the outside. As you say with the SF33, there is just the ply? Axle supports.
Either way, I have got away with just getting an interference fit for the axle & pushing it home without needing glue, but a touch of epoxy would help keep it in place.
I often put a short length of brass tube in the wheel to match the axle diameter & also centre the wheel.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Thank you Peter, sound advice as ever.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Stephen,
I do much the same as Peter with plain ply sides, reinforced inside with metal or glass fibre board with the only difference being I cyno small discs of 0.8mm ply over the axle ends. Should you need to remove the axle later it's a simple job to remove the discs and push it out.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Thanks Robbie, good idea.