• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Transferring single wing plans

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Robcrad

Transferring single wing plans

Post by Robcrad »

Hi all,
I have Cliff' Charlsworth SF33 plan which only has the wing starboard panel drawn, what is tne best way to copy it for the port wing?

Stay safe

Rob
SedB

Re: Transferring single wing plans

Post by SedB »

I think the best way to have it copied is to get a mirror copy from the seller of the original plan.
Having the plan scanned and printed by a third party brings the risk of it not being exact the same size.

Giving the plan a light oil coat will also do the job, but ruins the plan...
I'm curious too on what solution others have! :D

Daniel
Max Wright

Post by Max Wright »

I tried taking my Falke plan to Officeworks, where they copied and flipped it.

All good - except that the new wing plan is about 5 mm longer.

The optics are clearly not very good in their machine. :?

Cheers
Max
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Plan printers i worked with in the past have the option of scaling up or down in percentage. If the plan is 5 mm to long then calculate the percentage with the original. and say print the plan at 99% scale.
If the original plan scanned on a roll the original is on the inside the printed medium on the outside this makes it longer because of a larger diameter with a longer circumference as a result. In my professional days we worked it out that the difference is 3 mm per meter drawing length.
I used to work in car design, Body drawings could be 6m long and copies had to be accurate, for that reasons copies were made on a flat table.
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Hi Rob

The simple way is to use carbon paper placed active side up beneath the original. Mark spar and rib positions. You only need to make marks rather than lines at this stage. Once you've got enough to give you a clue where everything is you can turn the plan over and complete a rudimentary drawing of the second wing. The other way is to use a light box.

Hope this helps

Ian ;)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Rob,
Another way to get a reverse image of the plan is to tape it up onto a patio door (or similar) glass & then trace over the lines that clearly show through. Printed text will be reversed, but can be added later.

A problem with any printed plan is that paper is not a stable medium, so will expand/contract with the environmental conditions. Large printers are also subject to linear tolerances, particularly in the length axis due to tolerances & variations with the rollers used for measurement - a bit like your car speedometer not being gospel due to tyre wear etc. etc.
Don’t forget that a 1mm variation in 1 metre is only 0.1% which is pretty good for a roller/paper system!
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I'm with you on this Peter. When I draw a new plan I draw the right hand wing first in pencil and when happy with the design I ink it in with .3 drawing pen. I then tape it to the patio window and ink in the underside of the paper to get the left wing. This ensures that I get two wings the same. I have purchased plans/kits with both wings drawn out where there are significant differences between the left and right wings.
Brian.
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Another vote for the large glass patio window method and building on the reverse of the plan.
And it doesn't even need a sunny day!

John M
Keith

Post by Keith »

Whats wrong with the old way by using vegtable oil then it ,then it makes it translucent, i know its a bit messy but it works.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Or you could ask your copy shop to produce two copies, one of them reversed. Hopefully they will both be the same size and you can keep the original plan in pristine condition.