• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Question on wing joining and spars for unswept wing

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
andynrose315

Question on wing joining and spars for unswept wing

Post by andynrose315 »

Hello - im in the process of planning out a new build where the wing planform is tapered and the leading edge unswept. For this type of arrangement is there a suggested wing joiner arrangement/spar arrangement or is it best to compromise and adjust the planform? Im thinking of using a blade type wing joiner system and a built up wing structure. If i keep the wing joiner and spar system in line, which seems to be fundamental, then i could adjust the planform as a compromise which is no problem. There does not seem to be many threads with similar wings so thought i would ask (could be a good reason for this too!)
john greenfield

Re: Question on wing joining and spars for unswept wing

Post by john greenfield »

Andy

Why not keep the spar parallel to the leading edge and trap the joiner between the top and bottom spars?

An alternative is to keep the main spar at the 30% chord position and angle the joiner relative to the spar. Have the joiner nearer the front of the spar at the root end and nearer the rear of the spar at the end of the joiner. With a wide flat spar (the best choice structurally) you could probably keep the joiner within the spar width.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
andynrose315

Post by andynrose315 »

Peter, A wider spar will work so will go with that approach, thank you.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

There does not seem to be many threads with similar wings

Andy, all my wings use the same sort of method. (Plenty of build threads here! ;) ) As John says, the brass box can be angled between the spars to better to align the two wings, but if that's not entirely possible, then the steel bar is quite flexible enough to accommodate a slight flex, which can be held in place with the rubber band retention method...
andynrose315

Post by andynrose315 »

Chris guess i’m thinking too much on the Petrel construction with the joiner aligned with the spar. anyway thanks and sorted. one day hopefully will maiden my petrel.......