• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Bowden cable replacement -> servo

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Bowden cable replacement -> servo

Post by mjcp »

Hi all,

Any bright ideas for replacing a bowden with a servo?

More specifically, options for getting the servo wire to where the servo will be:

options I can think of:

Try to run the new cable down the bowden sheath?

Try to extract the sheath and draw the servo cable as its removed.

"drill" a new cable run and draw the servo cable through to the new servo location.

The wing is foam / wood veneer / glassed / wooden spars

I have plenty of servo cable and the tools to properly terminate, so I can split into 3 and make to length etc.

Thanks,
Marc
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
Philkiteflyer

Re: Bowden cable replacement -> servo

Post by Philkiteflyer »

mjcp wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 14:47

Thanks,
Marc
In keeping with my moto (K.I.S.S) that would be my choice. Solder the servo wire to the Bowden (if you can) or use the bowden to pull a string that can then pull the servo cable. Don't want to mess up a wing with more holes . . . just creates weakness.

Good Luck,
Phillip C
New Zealand.
"Keep it simple stupid"
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Philkiteflyer wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 21:14
mjcp wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 14:47

Thanks,
Marc
In keeping with my moto (K.I.S.S) that would be my choice. Solder the servo wire to the Bowden (if you can) or use the bowden to pull a string that can then pull the servo cable. Don't want to mess up a wing with more holes . . . just creates weakness.

Good Luck,
Phillip C
New Zealand.
I would also vote for that approach in order to use the existing foam penetration path. As long as all 3 conductors go through then fine, but I suspect the bowden tube hole may be a little small to get decent size cable through - even if done as 3 separate cores to optimise fit.
As Phillip says, slide a single piece of wire through tube to act as a pull cord for servo wires, soldering wires to pull cord to get a good attachment in a minimum diameter. Lubricating the wires with a a smear of soapy water may also help them slide through rather than do it dry.
Bowden tubes are often stuck pretty well to the foam cores, so getting it out may be difficult, particularly if long/ curved :(
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

The problem is that servo wire might be to thick to slide inside bowden cable. The way I do my servo channels is by heating and long metal rod of round 3 or 4 mm with a blow torch and push it in to the foam from the root to the servo box .
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

The problem is that servo wire might be to thick to slide inside bowden cable. The way I do my servo channels is by heating and long metal rod of round 3 or 4 mm with a blow torch and push it in to the foam from the root to the servo box .
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Thanks all, I concur with the preferred idea of using the bowden tube as a conduit for the servo cables; the existing cable is freely moving, so the route is snag free and low radius etc.

I'll see how three servo strands fit and go from there!

Marc
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

I did this on my old Pat Teakle HP18, I used a larger diameter tube and then "drilled" around the existing bowden cable. After first cutting out the servo boxes so I didn't have to drill round the curve.

HP18 flew like this for several years, and the final crash wasn't a result of these mods :oops: