• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Is model flying dead

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Cliff Evans

Re: Is model flying dead

Post by Cliff Evans »

I think everyone is feeling a bit low for one reason or another at the moment. If you need to talk Roo, you know how to get hold of me.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

roo Hawkins wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 16:20 Do members think model flying has not much life left in it.model shops closeing. Drone reg and no balsa plus other stuff. Been flying for more than 25 years but it is getting harder. Its not the same. Planning on giving it this year and if I feel the same I will store my gliders away and see what happens later on in life.
Roo, I couldn't disagree more with you. Modelling is a sanity lifeline in these very strange times. When We were totally locked down I embarked on large scale Sopwith Pup in April and it is now structurally complete.The engine (petrol radial) is run in. So now is the hard part fittings and finishing. In 2020 in Shropshire I flew slope or power field every week and sometimes twice weekly, socially distancing of course. I am 74 and as said previously not going to let the "b-----s" get me down. Please stay positive . I started this hobby 64 years ago and it is getting better ! Regards John.
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

I'd echo some of the sentiments expressed here, though I'm not sure a few of them are all that new/recent:

Clubs are a fickle thing. When I got back into things ~10 years ago, there were three local clubs, one website simply said "wait list", another responded to email with "waitlist" and the 3rd (a *very* old one incidentally dating from free flight in the 20s) was very welcoming. Alas, none are really any good for soaring, so I travel a bit further. The only remote clubs I've pondered handing cash to are White sheet and Ivinghoe.

On the whole, I've never gone without a chat at either, but there's still a few there who can run a bit hot/cold: I do recognize a few of the same faces on return visits, yet only a few (often ctte members) seem to make an effort to say hi. Compare that to Ivinghoe where its often better attended, yet on my visits, *most* people make conversation.

Local hobby stores / model shops are another fickle thing: My return to flight was via a foam trainer bought from a shop near Heathrow, very helpful and chatty. There's another great one in Ashford Middx too. Conversely, the model shop in Windsor was more interested in gossiping with a mate than flogging me anything. Never been back!

I'm not sure the hobby is dead as such, the hills I fly seem to be as busy now as 5-10 years back. The fliers do tend to be grey haired, as am I these days! But, I started in my teens, took 20 years out and returned. I suspect as a hobby, that hasn't changed so much these days.

I used to fly full-sized too and have had a similar hiatus. Many of the returning full sized pilots have gone through a similar pause.

All in all, I'm not sure this is a former parrot just yet.
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

misery.jpg
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

Before Covid I was not bothered if I went flying or not generally. I attended events as much as possible, dragging poor Jane along, and really enjoyed them. The social side was as much part of an event to me as the flying. Local flying wasnt really interesting enough to warrant a trip out to the club I had joined as the membership generally were a bit stand offish.
Now though, having had the enforced break from flying my enthusiasm to go flying is back. I have rejoined a club I was a member of many years ago and cant wait to get down the patch with some friends. I still look forward to the events and meeting all the friends I've made over the years who sadly I didnt get to see last year.
I've had times over my model flying life where I've had a bit of a break, sometimes several years, but I've always gravitated back to the hobby and sometimes had a go at new disciplines - last time that involved me getting into towing and I've loved it ever since.
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

binham pat.png
Hi Pat

And aren't we glad you found that particular new discipline 'cos you're the best.

Best regards

Stay safe

Ian
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

If I'm honest, I'm struggling to stay positive, I flew 2 or 3 times last year and got out sailing only slightly more, this is all pretty miserable, but I find distraction works best for me.

Get yourself a copy of fusion 360 and get on youtube, that'll stop you thinking about 'the other thing' - don't watch the news either,or ---- ------ -------- ----- --------.

It's good building weather after all!

Take care, Ell.
Dave Cooper

Post by Dave Cooper »

Hi All,

Well with the Vaccine and Spring nearly upon us, we can look forward to some nice flying again.

My approach to staying 'fresh' is variety - eg in the winter I do some railway modelling (nice and warm indoors) plus some design work on my racing sportscar.

Last year I finished a small RC scratch-built RAF launch and sailed it. I'm now designing and building an RC yacht.

I also do some full-size gliding and will shortly be involved in the club's new simulator - mainly the electronics and software side.

As time goes by, mental health (and spiritual refreshment) is as important as the physical side....so, if you feel you're in something of a rut, give "variety" a try - it works for me !
Dave
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Is model boating dead too? Linky :lol: :roll:
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
Dave Cooper

Post by Dave Cooper »

Traditionally, these fast RAF launches were IC powered and most people react (adversely) to the noise...

However, with modern electric set-ups you can get the same (or more) speed if needed. There are very few complaints about sail-power ! (even from the ducks).
Dave C