• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Is model flying dead

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
roo Hawkins

Is model flying dead

Post by roo Hawkins »

Do members think model flying has not much life left in it.model shops closeing. Drone reg and no balsa plus other stuff. Been flying for more than 25 years but it is getting harder. Its not the same. Planning on giving it this year and if I feel the same I will store my gliders away and see what happens later on in life.
Barry_Cole

Re: Is model flying dead

Post by Barry_Cole »

Balsa is on it's way back. Some model shops will survive. The new regs effect models fliers hardly at all. A Covid vaccine is getting closer for us all.

Stay positive, and don't let the B*******s get you down.

:D :D :D :D

BC
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Been trying to stay positive for the last few years. I have been windsurfing more and more and is taking over. Lot less stressful only went flying 3 times last year because of covid. I have given away and sold some of my model all ready but will keep some. But will see what happens by the end of the year.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I personally think Model flying is in a very healthy state at the moment. I also believe that the model flying bug is incurable. You may think it’s left you at the moment but be assured you’ll almost certainly find that you’re just entering a period of remission and sooner or later it will bite back in some form. I know modellers who have sold up and ‘moved on’ three or more times over the years but they keep coming back!
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Hopefully we will all be back flying sooner rather than later. Stay positive. At the moment, that is all we can do.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Guys, pandemic aside, I really do wish I could join in on your enthusiasm. However things are not pointing in the right direction at present. Trevor (and most of the forum members) will remember when we had to queue up on our local slopes for the colored peg which we clipped to the tranny ariel to show which 27megs we were flying on. There would be a good 15- 20 flyers from two maybe three different clubs from around the area on a good day, now we are lucky to meet 4-5 of us diehards all of a similar ancient age as myself on the slope. For a long long time now there's been no new blood coming into the hobby. This mainly because of the 'go back to start at a press of a button' in this digital age with no need to build first or repair when things go wrong attitude of the young. We were brought up to enjoy all the things that we still enjoy in the designing, building and flying a heavier than air machine, but the youngsters are now living in a world of Drones flying half way around the world flown by men sitting back in their arm chairs in Houston. The youngsters are used to rockets to the moon, thousands of satellites orbiting the earth sending back updates of traffic awareness to our cars in real time. They see the wonder of far away planets taken and sent back by a man made machine sent far into space projected on the telly nearly every night. It is no wonder that the knowledge of how a wing creates lift etc. which we thrive on leaves them cold.
My father who was a good inspiration to me once told me that when he was a teenager he was in clubs that designed and flew kites, some extremely large that could lift a young boy in the air in a strong wind. However when more aircraft came along the kites were given up to the new craze of free flight models made from bamboo and tissue paper. The kite clubs now died never to be resurrected. New generations mean new things of wonder to the young. Like it or not model aircraft building and flying as we know and enjoy it is going the way of the Dodo

I have to say that we as a body of model flyers often don't help our cause. Knowing that my forgone spill is probably correct You would think that clubs would invite young flyers with their newly bought from eBay models with open arms. However it has been known for clubs that should know better to say to the youngsters "that things got a propeller, that's not a glider, you cant fly that here its not in the clubs constitution" If one looks it will be found that nearly all 'starter' gliders that can be bought off the shelf now has propellers. These clubs instead of turning away the new era of power assisted gliding should embrace it. It is here now , them liking it or not will not make a difference to the march of time. They should ask themselves "is the club growing or depleting of membership and what date did we enroll our latest young member, This situation should be addressed now by these clubs, understood that its part of the next generation thing, or as we all grow older our beautiful hobbie of Model building and flying as we know it will be gone. Terry.
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Dead right about clubs I tried to join my local club in Northamptonshire not naming but cluestill in the name. I whent though all their joining process. Go to a meeting and forms then fly 3 times to be checked out then had to have interview. But then heard nothing. More than application for a job. I have heard that loads of hobbies and sports are going mad at the moment .my own sport of windsurfing is booming and looks like it will stay like that after meny years in decline. More people seem to be getting outdoors and getting active. Especially now we are spending to much time on zoom and computers the pandemic. So why not model flying.
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Well that is a very melancholy outlook. I'm a member of two clubs both of which are thriving but clearly stuffed by CV19 just now.

I'm the Secretary of the Winchester club and our membership is higher than it's been for the last five years. We've managed to attract new members, mostly 50 years plus, but the recent highlight has been the emergence of half a dozen new members under 35 with one aged 11.

What is really heartening is that during our brief relief of lockdown in 2020 we were able to introduce one new younger member who was so enthusiastic and willing to learn. He started flight training in June and went on to get his A a few weeks later. To balance the concerns raised in some of the earlier posts I thought seeing extracts from an e-mail he sent me might just reset the balance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I joined the club at the end of January 2020.

That came to a halt with the array of storms that rolled through in February and then, Lockdown!
Before Covid 19 and Lockdown changed everything in the UK, I had been given Ian's contact information and I made contact and introduced myself. I was greeted with enthusiasm and we kept checking in while lockdown ensued.

As soon as the restrictions started easing, Ian agreed to meet me at the field so we could have a "physically distanced meet and greet", meet anyone else that was around and then show him what I had. So, on June 8th i went to the site. Ian met me at the gate to make sure I knew where I was going.

There were 4 other members there and we had a chat, shared a few laughs and I showed them what I had. At the time, I had my trainer a Max thrust Riot, and a B-17 that had never been flown.

Today August 1st 2020, under 2 months since joining the club, with Steve's patience and guidance and only 1 or 2 minor repairs, I passed my "A" test.

I must take this moment to thank: Steve, Roy and Ian. Steve and Roy have put up with me for the last 2 months, with me asking questions and telling me off when I make a stupid mistake, and I hope they will continue to do so as I transition from electric to I/C and start working towards my "B" cert and sharing a few more laughs along the way. And Ian, for welcoming and introducing me into the club, as well as coming down to check on me on test day. 
I want to thank everyone else that I have met and interacted with. You have all made me feel welcome and boosted my confidence in my own ability.

Everyone that I have met has been welcoming, friendly and encouraging. If you have ever had an interest in R/C flying or even if you don't, I would highly encourage you to get in contact with the club who will be more than happy to let you have a go, and show you what this hobby can offer.
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

roo Hawkins wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 16:20 Do members think model flying has not much life left in it.model shops closeing. Drone reg and no balsa plus other stuff. Been flying for more than 25 years but it is getting harder. Its not the same. Planning on giving it this year and if I feel the same I will store my gliders away and see what happens later on in life.
I hope you don’t give up flying Roo, you’re a nice fella and I would miss seeing you at aero tow events or on the slope.

I can certainly recommend my club: the Ramsay Model Aircraft Club. There is a waiting list to join but the field and facilities are excellent.

Phill
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

I not planning yet just seeing what the year brings. I have stopped building anything new I have a few things to finish if I what. I think I am just feeling low about things at the moment plus other interests.