• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Ultracote (Oracover) Trim over Solartex?

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Eraldo

Ultracote (Oracover) Trim over Solartex?

Post by Eraldo »

Has anyone successfully used Ultracote/Oracover over Solartex for trim?

I'm covering my 1/3-scale Jilles Smits ASK-18 with white Solartex and am considering using red Ultracote (Oracover) for the nose and wing-tips as well as for other trim. Some of the Ultracote would be over Solartex-covered open-areas.

Paint is/was my first consideration but Ultracote offers ease of application - no bleed under masking, mess or airbrushing/spraying during the Canadian winter!

Any advice/comment is very welcome.

Thx,
Eraldo
B Sharp

Re: Ultracote (Oracover) Trim over Solartex?

Post by B Sharp »

Hi Eraldo.
My first instinct would be to paint it. I have never had a lot of success with plastic over text - the exception being vinyl which seems to stick to almost anything. The problem seems to be differential expansion and contraction of the dissimilar materials.
I can now guarantee that the next post will tell you there is no problem. :D
Brian. :)
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Hi Eraldo

I'm with Brian. Solartex takes paint very well and also neat solartex will get grubby over time if you don't apply clearcoat or something similar.

With regard to paint bleed under masks I would suggest you seek out Tamiya masking tape, it's never failed me. Define the area to be sprayed with the Tamiya tape and then move outwards with regular masking tape and newspaper. ;)

Ian
Eraldo

Post by Eraldo »

Thanks Brian & Ian, I appreciate your help & comments.
Paint it will be. For masking: I'll use Tamiya tape (FYI: I usually use clear Sellotape and a fellow modeller also suggested electrical tape).
Eraldo
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

3M Fine Line tape is used by refinishing professionals...

Lawrie P

Post by Lawrie P »

Hello,
Here are a couple of photos of my ASK 18, which is covered with Solartex. Sharp lines on the paint was achieved using fine line masking tape from Tamiya. After masking up spray on a light coat to seal the edge of the tape and allow to dry for about 10 minutes. More coats can then be applied without fear of the paint creeping under the tape. Happy days.
Lawrie.
Attachments
IMG_2929.JPG
IMG_2930.JPG
IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I'm a big fan of Tamiya masking tape and I have rolls of it in a variety of widths. They also have a 2.5 mm vinyl type tape for curves which is good for complex curves. You do have to exercise care at corners where tapes overlap as paint can run along the edge of the join. Running a finger nail along the edge of the joint keeps it sealed.
I must have a look for the 3M product that Chris suggests.
Brian :)
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

If you have a really tight curve then overlapped tamiya tape can be made up on a piece of glass then the exact shape can be cut using a french curve and a scarpel. Once peeled from the glass and applied to the model Brian's thumbnail trick will ensure success.

Ian
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

3M fine line finishing tape is excellent stuff and I suspect is cheaper than the Tamiya stuff - you get quite a bit of tape on the 3M's roll. Most vehicle re-finishing suppliers stock it.

Also, a light coat of dope or clear lacquer sprayed on before the colour coats stops any bleed under the tape.

tape.jpg