• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

FES throttle - proportional or on/off

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Phill Tadman

FES throttle - proportional or on/off

Post by Phill Tadman »

Hi all

Any thoughts or recommendations on whether a FES throttle for 1/3 scale should be proportional or on/off

Thanks

Phill
Cliff Evans

Re: FES throttle - proportional or on/off

Post by Cliff Evans »

Proportional for me.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

On a switch is my choice as the only reason for turning the motor on is to climb so no need for proportional. Use a servo slow function to reduce the load on the motor at start up so it ramps up sensibly. The other advantage of this approach is that it leaves the "throttle" stick for airbrakes/flaps.
By using flight modes you can have both the motor and airbrakes on the same stick but it can get confusing if you do not fly the model regularly.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
terry white

Post by terry white »

Proportional for me too. Throttle your motor speed for your required rate of climb, use no more power then required to sustain climb, and save your battery. You will also get a much more controllable flight path. Put brakes and flaps on other proportional channels. However a kill switch to the throttle is a good idea , killed until take off.
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

On electric gliders, I put motor control on a slider and brakes on the stick. If I didn't have a suitable slider I would probably put the motor on a switch.
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Phill, on FES have the throttle control on the throttle stick and you will have a safer more measured operation. The air Brakes and flaps on other proportional controls maybe sliders ? Regards John.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

another vote for proportional, on throttle stick. Using phases to change throttle stick to airbrakes. I have in the past had the motor on a switch, and honestly, this is absolutely fine, just as Johns says, using servo slow to give a gentle power up.

I just like having the ability to stooge around in sink using 1/3 throttle.

You pays yer money...
BrettW

Post by BrettW »

The method I picked up from competition fliers uses a hybrid approach.
Set up the (motor) throttle on a side slider (I fly mode 2 and use the LHS slider) and then designate a switch as the motor safety interlock - top left for me so that I can use same hand for both. Throttle stick is left free for airbrakes/flaps, as usual.

This then allows two different modes of operation.
1/ Safety interlock switch with proportional throttle on slider as required.
2/ Pre-setting throttle via slider and then switching motor on/off using interlock switch.

Et voila! Both proportional and binary styles available.

I've found this approach works well. For competition flying, where you often pre-set the throttle for particular launch conditions and just flick the interlock switch just before launch. For FES style of flying you can leave the slider at say half throttle and employ the interlock switch simply to engage/disengage power when in danger of falling out of the sky, or simply wanting to stooge around in poor air. Easy enough to adjust the slider if you want a little more/less thrust.

Naturally, the same comments apply regarding slowing down motor response.

Cheers, Brett
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Many thanks for all the replies!

I’m still undecided.

I wonder whether proportional may give better motor and rudder control during the take off. Perhaps fade in the throttle with a little rudder until wingtips are level and then give it the beans to get off the ground

Phill
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Phill Tadman wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:56 Many thanks for all the replies!

I’m still undecided.

I wonder whether proportional may give better motor and rudder control during the take off. Perhaps fade in the throttle with a little rudder until wingtips are level and then give it the beans to get off the ground

Phill
Proportional control every time. 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC