• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Glider Wing Clamp.

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Adrian IRL

Glider Wing Clamp.

Post by Adrian IRL »

Hi Lads.

I have been trying to buy a 15mm wing clamp for my join the wings on my ASW20L.
I have tried : Pat Teakle Models & Glider Distribution UK with no luck.

Peter Johnson from Glider Distribution UK says he has never seen one in the 30yrs he has been dealing with RC Gliders.

Someone has to be making them up or they would not be lying around. I have one for my Multiplex Alpina 4m & Bill from Pat Teakle Gliders must have one because it is shown on his website ( See Photo from PTG website ).

Can anyone help me find these clamps.

With thanks.

Adrian.
Attachments
i285134164378545530._szw1280h1280_bb.jpg
i285134164378545530._szw1280h1280_.jpg
Peter Balcombe

Re: Glider Wing Clamp.

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Adrian,
I suspect that the items you have seen may well be individually made by a builder of a specific model.
I know of a few people who have made similar (but different) dihedral braces & clamps for Pats models and even made my own version of the dihedral clamps for the Vega & ASW20.
Peter
Adrian IRL

Post by Adrian IRL »

Thanks peter.

The two end bits are machine cut.
I could have a go at making one up but is it worth the hassle.
I will just go with the PT pin job..

By the way, it is raining again over here, so I am working away indoors, as we do.

Talk soon & thanks again.

Adrian.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Adrian,
Rather than use the pin method (which is what I originally built & flew the Vega & ASW20 with, but any heavyish landing tends to move the whole fuselage joiner in the fuselage, causing damage/repairs) I now use the Multiplex Multilock Uni set wing retainer system (available from Gliders Distribution & others) as this allows the wings to move out in the event of a hard knock rather than take the whole joiner system with it.
A Multiplex set costs about £8 comes with parts to do several models of different sizes, especially if you only use one retainer per wing as I do (fitted approx 25mm from the main joiner location).
The wings need a good push to snap the parts together & needs the supplied plastic wedge to provide a joint gap to obtain the leverage to break the connection. They are easy to fit and I have had no problem with one retainer on each wing of my 5m ASW20.
I can scan & forward copies of the instruction sheets if you like.
I use hand made set of dihedral angle retention clamps from the old pin system, but you could just epoxy bandage the two brass boxes together as with the plug in retainers, no pressure is required on the joiners.
Hope this helps.
Peter
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Adrian,
Just scanned the MPX Unilock instructions & pdf file should be attached for info.
http://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/downlo ... ew&id=1560
Attachments
MPX Multilock Uniset.pdf
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 469 times