• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Vinyl onto Obechi ?

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
FrankS

Vinyl onto Obechi ?

Post by FrankS »

Just refurbishing and old 4m wingspan Discus with foam veneered wings, I have stripped off all the old heatshrink film and repaired the wings where required. They are quite strong now.

Is it possible to apply self adhesive sign writers Vinyl directly onto obechi (and filler :lol: ) or do I need to apply some coating first?

Never tried sign writers vinyl before so not sure what preparation is required.

Thanks
Martin G

Re: Vinyl onto Obechi ?

Post by Martin G »

I'm interested to know the answer as well.
Some of the PSS models are silver/chrome and those colours are a B****r to spray well for me!
Martin Dee

Re: Vinyl onto Obechi ?

Post by Martin Dee »

I think you may need to seal fill and sand the veneer surface to a glass like finish in some way. I remember I put vinyl on an unsealed wing once and found that with time, the surface sank into the grain of the veneer, giving a wonderful woody effect where it wasn't wanted. Then when I tried to remove it, it took most of the wood veneer with it.

If I was to do it again, I would use acrylic floor sealer (or low vis epoxy )and micro balloons to get a smooth surface.

M