• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Cirrus in the attic

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
terry white

Cirrus in the attic

Post by terry white »

Hi guys,

Back in the good old days of1980 ish, A good flying chum of mine saved up his pocket money that his wife allowed him to buy his model of a life time. This model (which went on to be one of the all time classics)just happened to be the Graupner Cirrus 108" scale glider. He's loved this model and flown it ever since (said he was just getting the hang of it now that the glue had dried.) :lol:
The model sported built up wings with an ABS fus, was light as a feather and would float around all day on a nuns f--t.

Disasters struck this week-end :( half way up a bungee launch the model decided it had had enough of living and kamikazed itself in the ground.
Now my chum has not had a good nights sleep ever since. The fus has completely disintegrated due to the brittle nature of the ABS over so many years. although the wings and tail feathers are salvageable. :shock:

I also understand that quite a few copy's were made in fibre-glass as it was a true classic.

So guys here's the plea. Has anybody got a Graupner cirrus 108" wing span fus stored in their attic that they can give/sale to a good home and stop this man boohooing? It would be just great if we could find one for him. :)

Cheers Terry.
Andrew Ray

Re: Cirrus in the attic

Post by Andrew Ray »

Hi Terry,

Those fuselages were always brittle even when new. Back in 1976 Trevor Faulkner (I think) designed a replacement fuselage that was featured in RCM&E in May that year and included a plan. While the fuselage is not quite as sleek as the original it is a very practical solution but will require a mandrel making to form the fuselage boom. If your pal decides to go down this route I have seen the magazine in question available on eBay, the cover depicts Fred Coulson with his F4-U Corsair.

Regards, Andrew.
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Hi terry I also have a cirrus the fuz was badly cracked when I got it. So I glued it sanded it and glassed it completely with 200 gm cloth and epoxy then filled it and ended it and then paint. It was in a really bad condition but has been fine so far. May be a opinion for you. Roo
Last edited by roo Hawkins on 15 Aug 2015, 14:58, edited 3 times in total.
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

I have also remembered that I drilled holes along the cracks and stiched with carbon fibre tow. Roo :D
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Andrew and Roo,
Thanks for your input guys, however Roo this fus cannot be pieced together like yours as it resembles my boiled egg at breakfast with the top smashed in. I think its a goner for good. Ter.
colin_waters

Post by colin_waters »

Hi
You might like to try a post to peter.j.beadle@btopenworld.com.
He certainly had a Cirrus going spare but it could well be gone by now.
Good luck
ColinW
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Colin,

thanks for the info. Unfortunately my machine is telling me that this is not a proper address. can you please check so I can follow your lead.

Regards Terry.
colin_waters

Post by colin_waters »

Hi Terry
That's the only address I have for Peter. Its OK on my machine.
Cheers
Colin
Mark Richards

Post by Mark Richards »

Hi Terry
There is a dot after com in the address.
You may have more success if you remove it.
terry white

Post by terry white »

That's worked Mark, thanks a lot. Hope you are all well. terry