• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Choice of 3D printers

All things related to 3d printing
Elliot Howells

Re: Choice of 3D printers

Post by Elliot Howells »

Fusion 360, hobbyist free license.
Weds

Post by Weds »

Sketchup (free) for me.
Malcolm B

Post by Malcolm B »

As a numpty I find that Tinkercad works well for many items.
If things get too parametric then I have to relearn Fusion 360 (again!)
Still it was a fun thing to learn during lockdown!
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

There are very good suggestions here already.
Its like buying a car for the first time. Some see something they like and get it regardless, whether it is the right decision or not comes later. Others spend a lot of time going through all the options and by the time a decision is near there is something else on the market and the process continues. Then there are the tinkerers...........

I have seven operative printers, an original Pruser i3MK3s+, 2x Nophead Mendels (homebuilt), 1x heavily modified Tevo Black widow, 1x homemade Gmax style 300x300x600 (for tall prints), a large format 400x400x500 modified Xinkebot Orca2 and a PhotonS resin printer. Why so many and why are they modifed? They are setup for different work and filament types, all have been setup with autolevel. I'm a tinkerer and wanted the machines to be better. I really like the huge spectrum of items that have been possible to produce. I was printing many objects for a long running project https://safetyfirst.airbus.com/pitot-pr ... he-ground/ Scroll to the large blue section.

Also have drawn and printed replacement obsolete car parts, cistern parts, brackets, clamps, fittings for machines and households, underwater light covers for a pool. Many model parts, molds, F5J wing joiners, an 8 foot Saturn 5, trophies, teaching aids. One job I have now is making replacement parking sensor housings for a BMW.

If you can draw it you can print it, although the resin printer is better for small detailed items.
Pick a printer with good reviews and support. Don't buy the cheapest eBay special, it won't be. Also don't overspend on a high end printer for your first one. Creality, although a cheaper brand in the scheme of things, are well established with a good product line. Bed levelling is a very good function to have. There are many resources on the net and some very good experience here. Expect a few failures, learn from them.

While many files are available in libraries like Thingiverse and Yeggi, if you are going to get serious you need to be able to drive a CAD program.
I mostly draw with Sketchup Pro (the free version does a lot with some add ons), I slice with Simplify3D, PruaSlicer and Chitubox for the resin printer. I dabble with other programs, but use those above the most.

The Prusa is my "go to" for most fine work for modelling and now does most of my modelling printing.
Attachments
Orlikpanelsm.jpg
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Look where 3d printing can go... (It would be a bu**er to repair, though)

BrianF

Post by BrianF »

I might get around to printing that one. I have a printed Kobuz that needs assembling.
Maybe not such a problem in your part of the world, my PLA printed models are more likely to die from heat than crash damage here.
They start going soft above 60degC, ground and enclosed car temps can exceed 70degC. I have pic somewhere of a printed glider wing I left in a car nicely draped over other modelling gear :?
I mostly use ABS, PETG or Nylon for parts that will be exposed to environmental heat. I printed an ABS engine standoff plate for my 40% Decathlon tug. Its still going strong despite the hot location.
Wing after.jpg
Wing before.jpg
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net
froschmade

Post by froschmade »

sketchuo pro