• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Mid-Summer sunset over Sutton Bank - Ka6

Here you can keep all those interesting videos you find on the net in one place
Jolly Roger

Mid-Summer sunset over Sutton Bank - Ka6

Post by Jolly Roger »

Now we're in the cold grey depths of Winter, this video may remind you of the those endless, warm Summer evenings.

Rog
RobbieB

Re: Mid-Summer sunset over Sutton Bank - Ka6

Post by RobbieB »

What a glow to end a really grey, dismal day.

Thanks Rog.
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Fantastic video of a beautiful glider in stunning conditions. Also it reminds me of some wonderful flights in HAP a full-size K6e. Lovely stuff Roger. Regards John.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Well that provided a welcome distraction from watching the snow fall, beautiful video.

Not sure my vertigo would cope with standing right at the edge though, looks very tight for landing and I presume always crosswind?
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Thanks for your kind comments folks.

Yes the cliff and no land-out options make it tricky, but the lift can be stupendous - we get wave off the Pennines and the UK full-size height record was held here for many years. The views are also staggering (Wordsworth called them the finest in England). Most of all, it's a 15 minute walk from our house. So all in all, it works for me. I just take extra care with my pre-flight checks and of course if it's really marginal - I add a prop! :D

The landing options are usually good (grass pasture just behind slope). That was ploughed when I videoed so I landed on some narrow strips I found a little further back. That night when I reviewed the airborn video I discovered a MASSIVE MOWN field another 50 yards back from the edge! Apparently the landowner used to fly microlights off it. Been here 20 years and I never knew. That gives some options to explore next Summer if the landowner is supportive.

All the best,
Rog