• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Mid 60's Gliding Champs B&W

Here you can keep all those interesting videos you find on the net in one place
Jolly Roger

Mid 60's Gliding Champs B&W

Post by Jolly Roger »

Love sailplanes from the 60's? Then enjoy this 9 min video.

It may be silent and B&W but it still captures the elegance of these sailplanes and the atmosphere of what I think is the World Gliding Champs held at South Cerney (UK) in 1965.

Anyway, precious footage of Skylark 3 and 4s, Darts, Olympias, SHK, Capstan etc. Also lots of men with quiffed hair.

Rog
RobbieB

Re: Mid 60's Gliding Champs B&W

Post by RobbieB »

Nice one Rog.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I love it Rog. Lots of Darts and Skylark 4's - lovely! :) :) :)
However, spotted the bloke readying a Skylark with pipe firmly in his mouth. If our CFI had seen a cigarette or a pipe inside a plane it would have been grounded for 24 hours incase a spark or ash had lodged inside! :cry:
Brian. :)
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Appears to be Lasham not South Cerney. Cerney is all grass. Prototype Capstan featured..the one with white capstans painted on the upper surfaces of the wings.
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Roger, that definitely looks like the Nationals at Lasham. The previous year I had my first gliding experience with an auto tow down that long runway in a T21. What fun, even if it was a very short flight. Regards John.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Thanks for your clarifications guys.

So to sum up... I got the wrong event and the wrong location. :oops:

I'd assumed it was a World Champs as that looks like an American pilot in the HP14 (or HP16?)... possibly Richard Schreder? Maybe he was just visiting.
Chris Wynn

Post by Chris Wynn »

Re smoking, one of my gliding instructors, Johnny Morris, used to smoke his pipe in the back seat of our K13 during my lessons at Compton Abbas. Talking of which, the SHK, BGA 90 was hangered at Compton when I used to work week-ends there when I was 16, that would have been 1968. I do remember that the Nats were held locally about that time. Used to love Darts, still the prettiest sailplane ever. The good old days when gliding was still allowed at Compton before the NIMBY's who moved down from London got their own way.
The other CW...
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Thanks for posting this lovely movie. Fred Slingsby would be proud
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Thanks for posting, so nice to see a bye gone age of gliding before I started, brought back memories having flown 5 of the types in the film.
Definitely Lasham, recognised the runway layout, did my silver distance to there back in the day, and used it
as a TP on many a cross country task :)
paulj

Post by paulj »

Flying in a baseball cap would get you frowned at these days as well!