• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Moswey 3 with functional instruments

Here you can keep all those interesting videos you find on the net in one place
tjarko

Moswey 3 with functional instruments

Post by tjarko »

Highly inspired by the video's of Chris Williams I got a camera as well this year. Runcam2, HD 60 fps, compressed by YouTube a lot unfortunately.

I still need to master video editing, but this could be interesting.
I (also) film from pilot position, and after a few remarks about the non moving instrument indicators decided to fix that.

Flying for filming is quite challenging, need to keep the plane stable in pitch and avoid steep turns.
Turning the pilot head is with a control knob on the transmitter, takes good concentration to get it right.

Have fun ..
Tjarko

Last edited by tjarko on 03 Nov 2020, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Davis

Re: Moswey 3 with functional instruments

Post by Ian Davis »

Hi Tjarko

You have to tell us more about the methods you used to make the instruments.

Great stuff.

Ian ;)
ChrisGordon

Post by ChrisGordon »

Brilliant!
tjarko

Post by tjarko »

The instruments are servo driven.
For the speed sensor I added a 4:1 gear step to increase the range to 360 degrees. The vario servo was modified with two resistors to increase the range to nearly 180 degrees.
I use a Jeti DS14, and glider equipped with MVario sensor for altitude and vario signals.
In the Tx it is simple to select the sensor signals as input for a servo. Both zero and gain can be freely selected. For example on altitude the servo is at -45 degrees on the ground, 0m and at 250m it should go to +45 gedrees on the instrument.
I got very good help from the Jeti helpdesk. They even sent a short video how to set this up.
It did require a SW upgrade and a 14 channel Rx...
Initially I had the speed indicator on the throttle output, but that was not very realistic, and a handfull to control incl the pilot head.
So I added a Jeti speed sensor as well.
20200920_091833.jpg
The instrument panel has 3 small servos and a magnetic compass from a keychain.
It is mounted mechanically by a 6 pin MPX connector also taking care of 4 servo channels, so still 1 spare.
Here is a later picture with panel finished, MPX connector and servo mod with resistors.
20200930_185738.jpg
To calibrate the sensor response i use a jam jarr and syringe to gently pressurize. Here it is in use connected to speed sensor. I used it with Mvario inside as well.
20201006_175324.jpg
Here the speed was 73 km/hr.
In the plane I exaggerate speed by a factor 1.5 and altitude 2x to get a better visibility and more scale like appearance. On the transmitter screen and in the logging I get true values.
Altitude and vario during calibration.
20200929_211213.jpg
More info on dutch modelbouwforum.
https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/m ... 80/page-21
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Hi tjarko

Thanks for your teach-in.

Not being a Jeti man I didn't realize that sensor output could be extended to servos.

Ian ;)
tjarko

Post by tjarko »

I did not know either until recently.
I considered building instruments the classic way using expanding air like in a barometer. But that would have been very difficult.
So I just asked the Jeti helpdesk in an open question, if this would be possible using their products.
Within 1 day I got the answer incl an instruction video how to do it.

My old DS14 did not have Tx control functions, but this SW could be added for 30 euro.
Then I borrowed a 14 channel receiver from my Spitfire build project as the Rx9 receiver was running out of channels!
I never dreamt I would ever use more than 10...