Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

Designing and drawing plans on...

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Nigel Argall

Designing and drawing plans on...

Post by Nigel Argall »

Not sure which part of the forum to put this on so apologies if it should have been under 'equipment'. I want to draw up some plans but what do you draw on? I've used B & Q lining paper in the past but it is poor quality and gets brittle. I know some of you use CAD so i assume the print shop makes this decision for you when you get the plan printed. I'm old school (pen, straight edge, french curves etc) so need to draw ON to something. 'Drafting paper' perhaps? I've found this but would love to hear what any of you use. Thanks as always in advance.
https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/offi ... lsrc=aw.ds

Jolly Roger

Re: Designing and drawing plans on...

Post by Jolly Roger »

I'm sure that would do the trick Nigel. As always with paper, just be aware of it expanding/contracting with changing moisture levels. Even just 0.5% would be 10mm on a quarter scale fus.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Plotter paper is good, a 50mtr roll of 80gm anything between £12 - £25. Loads on ebay.

Noël Rumers

Post by Noël Rumers »

Hi Nigel,

I ordered in June 2020 from Graphic Design Supplies, GDS, a roll of:
GDS-DMMDF8984120 GDS double matt manual drafting film 89 micron being 841 mm wide and 20 m long.
See other sizes on the site.

This film is moistures proof at all times and you can with an old class ink pen design very fine lines on it.
Mistakes can be scratched away and new lines can be drawn at the back being perfect in a print...

A friend build once a half fuselage in a dry and sunny week, the other half was build the next week, being wet and very moistures, the result was that no former fitted and that one fuselage half was about 40 mm longer than the other...
The film would prevent that from happening!!!

See my latest design waiting to be build, time...

All the best and success,
Noël
Attachments
SGS 1-30 cross section fuselage elevator and rudder.pdf
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 26 times

Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

Thanks one and all - very helpful as always.