• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

WHO'S BUILDING WHAT FOR 2021

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
chris williams

Re: WHO'S BUILDING WHAT FOR 2021

Post by chris williams »

The light conditions weren't ideal for the S.Junior's maiden, but flew she did, even if the landings were both hurried crosswind affairs...
Attachments
IMG_8082.JPG
IMG_8131.JPG
P1280460.JPG
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

chris williams wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 12:31 The mini Bergfalke IV also had its first slope session. As the lift was extremely iffy at times, the secret propeller came in super-handy! At this size, it's a very handy model for those well-stricken in years... (This brings our fleet of electric Bergfalke 4's up to four)
Is the collective noun for them a "Stefan"? as in a group of Stefan E-BERGs :roll: :lol:

(OK! OK! I'll get my own coat)

M
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

Hello,

New to the forum and this looked like the appropriate place to ask my question.

Just in the process of completing my first glider build in 30 years. Getting back into it and having much fun enjoying some much needed man meditation 🧘.

Not an exciting build by your standards being an Aeronaut laser cut RES 2 meter glider, but thought a good place to start.

Looking forwards I want to start my first scale vintage glider build in next couple months that will also be a bit of a trainer.

It needs to be a manageable size to start (3-4 meters) and a safe ‘easy’ flyer. Construction not that radical as still learning the ropes.

Any suggestions from the group?

All going well it will get a start in August and finish before before 2021 ends 😬.

Cheers from down under

Alex
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Hello Alex

Welcome to the forum. There will be many suggestions for a first scale build.

Bearing in mind ease of construction I'd go for the Cliff Charlesworth ASK18. It's a great performer without too many curves to the fuselage and construction is very traditional. The only area of problem I have ever had with mine is the elevator linkage in the fuselage. If you follow the drawing with a simple clevis to the elevator horn you will find it's difficult to assemble at the field.

Better to use Chris Williams idea with a steel pin attached to the elevator and a sliding piece of brass in the fus with an appropriate sized hole in it.

Cliff Evans could help you with plans etc.

Hope this helps

Ian ;)
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

ian davis wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 06:57 Hello Alex

Bearing in mind ease of construction I'd go for the Cliff Charlesworth ASK18. It's a great performer without too many curves to the fuselage and construction is very traditional. The only area of problem I have ever had with mine is the elevator linkage in the fuselage. If you follow the drawing with a simple clevis to the elevator horn you will find it's difficult to assemble at the field.

Better to use Chris Williams idea with a steel pin attached to the elevator and a sliding piece of brass in the fus with an appropriate sized hole in it.

Hope this helps

Ian ;)
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk/produc ... -kit-plan/
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

Hope this helps

Ian ;)
Thanks Ian

I’ll go check it out!
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

Thanks for the link Cliff

Wow to be honest I was surprised at the recommendation. I figured a boxy high wing trainer type like a Grunau Baby would come up.

To be honest I was a little scared of curves as a first project. You guys make it look easy.

Looking at the ASK 18 it’s a lovely looking model and I have been an admirer of Cliff Charlesworth. I’ll check the build threads to see who has made one.

Maybe I’ll just have to dive in and swim 😬

Thanks again 👍🏻

Cheers
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Hope this helps

Ian ;)
Brass tubes are so yesterday...these days we use ball link clevises
Attachments
P1060147.jpg
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Thanks Chris
;)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Alex,
I cannot spot a Charlesworth 1/4 scale ASK18 build thread on the forum, but one has been built fairly recently by Brian Taylor (using the updated wing design mentioned below).
I’m sure that it would make a lovely build & there will always be help/input available on the forum.

As mentioned above, there is a new CAD derived wing design available for this model which utilises the HQ3.5 section, thereby eliminating the need for building in any washout as was standard with the original design.
The CAD design should also greatly ease the assembly, as things will notch together much better than with the original Cliff Charlesworth hand drawn plan. The wing ribs also have lower building tabs to allow the complete wing to be built up over a flat board, plus I think there is optional top surface wing bed to use whilst applying the lower skins if needed.

The fuselage is still the original design, so using more modern techniques in some areas would be worth considering - such as the elevator pushrod/connection mechanism as already mentioned by others.

Have a word with Cliff at Laser Cut Sailplanes for more info.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Balcombe on 09 Jul 2021, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.