• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Enlarging servo bay in foam wing

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Chris V

Enlarging servo bay in foam wing

Post by Chris V »

My fantastic Tangent Glider has arrived from Germany this weekend :)

The wings are quite a thin section to say the least, the servo wells are already machined in. A quick measure has indicated that a 8mm thick wing servo
would just go in and I mean just go in. With regard to 8mm thick servos Hitec do make one at a nice price and I need 4

There is a vast choice of 10mm thick servos from lots of manufacturer's

So i could do with removing 2mm of the foam from the bottom of the servo wells any ideas on the best way to do this ???

I thought about using my soldering iron and thought about making wire cutter out of coper wire wrapped around the soldering iron tip

I don't really want to start hacking it out with a knife as I am concerned about the overall thickness of the wing

Any ideas would be appreciated
Chris V

Re: Enlarging servo bay in foam wing

Post by Chris V »

John
What a brilliant idea !! I think that will do the trick
John Mcnamara

Re: Enlarging servo bay in foam wing

Post by John Mcnamara »

If the wing is this thin you will end up with no foam above the servo anyway so I would remove it all and put in a patch of carbon to support the "roof".
After the hot wire you can remove any residue by Using cotton buds soaked in thinners (carefully). Finally you can take a sanding block with a square piece of wood. Put your servo plate in whilst the epoxy is still wet.
BR

John