• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

BMFA National Centre ANO exclusion

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Phill Tadman

BMFA National Centre ANO exclusion

Post by Phill Tadman »

Hi all

I’ve just read that the BMFA National Centre at Buckminster now has a long term ANO exclusion and NOTAM allowing 7..20kg models to fly up to 1500 feet!

I’ve been hoping to find somewhere to fly my Antares and am now thinking of fitting a motor so I can fly un-assisted.

Phill
roo Hawkins

Re: BMFA National Centre ANO exclusion

Post by roo Hawkins »

maybe we should have a aero tow event there ????
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

roo Hawkins wrote: 30 Sep 2017, 21:00 maybe we should have a aero tow event there ????
Quite close for me

:D
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Not quite true, last time I saw Manny he was talking about asking the GS to have one there.

BC
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Hi Cliff, I find it very sad that you get that reaction from the BFMA. If we comply with all the BMFA RULES and recommendations I can't see a good reason for not hosting aerotowing. However can I point out a recommendation on operating LARGE models that has a relevance to our aerotowing which is section 19.13 para (h). of the Member's Handbook.
Regards John.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Going back over 20 years, Tony Baker continually tried to get the BMFA interested in Scale Gliders and aerotow, but he was always faced with a closed door. Ask yourself why it is that we get a nice monthly BMFA magazine with little or no stories on our subject. I find the mag. pretty useless
Tony Woods

Post by Tony Woods »

The only real reason for joining the BMFA is for the Insurance and that is a sad state of affairs. In all the years that I was involved in Aerotowing I found that all of the meetings were run by very responsible people who did not need any direct help or interference by the BMFA.

As Vince mentioned Tony Baker was very good at organisation so if he had no luck it is probably a lost cause. :(

Tony.
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Hi all,

I too would be greatly dissapointed if the National Site and the BMFA did not welcome aerotow. How is it so different from normal soaring?

I’ve just used the contact facility at the National Centre flying site to ask whether aerotow would be welcomed.

I’ll post any reply here.

Phill
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Hi all

Just picked up this post as I have been away.
I can confirm that the BMFA have been intouch with GS asking if we could arrange an aerotowing event at the national site. We have agreed to visit the site to discuss the proposal with a view to something next year. Now I am back I hope to find time to visit this month so may have some news soon.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Phill Tadman wrote: 01 Oct 2017, 13:22 Hi all,

I too would be greatly dissapointed if the National Site and the BMFA did not welcome aerotow. How is it so different from normal soaring?

I’ve just used the contact facility at the National Centre flying site to ask whether aerotow would be welcomed.

I’ll post any reply here.

Phill
Hi had a really quick reply from Manny:

“Good afternoon Phill

Thank you for your Email.

It is certainly something that we are keen to look at and it is indeed part of the planned activity for the National Centre.

I have been speaking with John Greenfield (Ghost Squadron) regarding an event next year and he is keen to do something here, as you refer the fact that we have a long term exemption to 1500 feet is definitely a benefit to such events.

If you want to come over and conduct some test flights it would be good to meet you at Buckminster, there is certainly plenty of room for aerotow activity.

With kind regards

Manny Williamson
Development Officer”

Good news indeed!

Phill