• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Is this a scale glider?

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Jerry

Re: Is this a scale glider?

Post by Jerry »

Ah right, thanks for the clarification on the full sized variants. So two have crashed killing their pilots - very sad.
I think the youtube link of your maiden sounds like the one I linked to earlier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGAaqxA0JOQ I've also now seen the link to your rudders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn7fl1ohmU4
You are right, there is a bell crank in the end of my wing, the servo is about half way between the elevon servo and the wing tip so a short mechanical connection.
No urgency on the throws, the forecast isn't looking good. :( Lots of rain, Sun is forecast dry but 20mph west which may be good for a bit of fun with the 4M Fox, but not for a maiden.
I think I've programmed the tx now - for starters I've gone with triple rates of 20mm / 15mm / 10mm and about 35% expo. but that's a quick adjust if I'm way out.
Thanks Paul.
Jerry
Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams »

Hi Jerry,
I always dislike CG positions marked at mid span - to give you as accurate a location as possible, I placed the wing against the skirtingboard, with a set square against it. passing through the CG.
Measurement is 536mm from the root, along the leading edge and then 50mm taken at 90 degrees to the leading edge.

Elevon neutral is 5mm up. BUT - mine is the prototype and the original article said the published plan would include more washout but I don't know if that actually happened. I intentionally started with half that figure and added up trim until I was happy.

Elevator 10mm up and 8 mm down. Aileron 12mm each way.

As I said, the model is generally good natured unless you use a lot of aileron + elevator input. The rudders are a non-event - they work just fine but are really easy to damage when you are rigging as well as landing.
Enjoy

Paul
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks Paul,
Me too, I prefer cog marked at the root, the joys of second hand models, but I can adjust that now.

Elevon up at neutral is interesting. I think I'll set that in thermal mode just in case mine is the same. Having said which, when I connected it all up with the servos at 0 offset one elevon and one rudder were spot on neutral for throws and the others a gnats whisker off. Given the tx we got at the same time were all old school not computerised I'm guessing it was all done correctly and centered mechanically so am hopeful elevon neutral is in line with the trailing edge. But I'll now be ready in case that's not the case. Thanks!

Sounds like the elevon throws were at the lower range of my guess - thanks, I'll reduce the throws. Otherwise I suspect my maiden will end up looking rather like yours. :)

I think the only thing I need now is the right weather.

Many thanks for all your assistance. :D

Jerry