• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Help please

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
John Vella

Re: Help please

Post by John Vella »

Hi Dave, welcome to SSUK forum. For your information the full size Capstan has 2 deg of dyhedral. So your model would benefit from a big reduction to a scale angle when flying with ailerons. The full size is a great and stable flyer and I am sure the model will be similar.
Regards John.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Dave, aileron equipped gliders will fly perfectly well with no dihedral at (Wolf, Rhonadler) I'm not sure that reducing the dihedral will have that much effect on roll rate. The main possible effect will be in free-flight mode i.e. failsafe, when it will be less self-correcting in a turn. If you're looking to make the model look more scale, then perhaps go with the scale dihedral...
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Dave, I once had a Capstan from the Cambria stable. I also upgraded it to ailerons. It was a good flyer as a 2 channel rudder elevator job, but a superb flyer once upgraded to ailerons. I also had the Cambria Eagle which also flew well.
Dave I took the dihedral down to 1" at each tip.Not for any particular aerodynamic reason but it seemed like a good round number at the time. :D
I was new to this flying of model aeroplanes at the time, I did get a little help and advice from a good friend at the time( long time dead now Im afraid) a Mr George Simmons of Portsmouth. All this took place at Butser hill at Petersfield just outside of Portsmouth. The Capstan was my sons( Rick) first model who was learning to fly alongside me at the age of 7 years,he is now 48 so it shows how long ago it was, (and how ancient I am) :roll:
The wing was originally joined with a glass bandage at the center. This I cut with a hacksaw on the bottom only. The width of the saw cut allowed the wing to be re-positioned at the 1" dihedral and re- bandaged. The servo was then positioned on the bottom of the wing operating torque rods to the cut out ailerons. Rebuild went well, flew well, well worth doing.
Don't forget to put in a false trailing edge to complete the box section of the wing, ;) Regards Terry.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

I think Steve means invert the wing for the glueing, then put it back on the model the right way up ;)