• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Hall's Cherokee II

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Hall's Cherokee II

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Peter,
There will be dihedral, but as I don’t know how this is set out on the Cherokee plan, I suggest you look for one of the following as the most likely options:
a) shown on the wing drawings where joiner boxes/tube/strip will be set at an angle, or even a separate joiner box assembly to be fitted between the main spars.
b) fuselage joiner receptacle arrangement set up in a “Vee” or “Flat X” configuration.

Again, not sure how any washout is shown if needed (depending on airfoil section), but if ribs have building tabs on the bottom, then this will take any washout twist into account.
Otherwise, look for comment on the wing plan saying that a tapered wedge needs to be fitted under the outer wing section rib TE during wing build. (Something like 6mm washout from inboard end of aileron to the tip rib is not uncommon).

However, recheck your plan carefully, as I am sure all the relevant info. will be there somewhere.

Peter
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Peter,
There must be sufficient aerodynamic washout due the wing section, or there is some other reason why it doesn’t need physical wing twist.
Note that whilst my post said that I was confident that there must be dihedral, I was less sure about washout.
Don’t knock it, as whilst a number of designs use washout to reduce tip stalling tendencies, this is not always the case and a wing is in any case more efficient without washout, as the whole wing can provide lift down to the stall.
As long as you don’t put any unintended twist into a wing, I suggest you go with the build note recommendations, as these should have been proven on a prototype build before the plan was released.
Roger-Spragg

Post by Roger-Spragg »

Peter,
I have a 1/3 scale David Smith designed Hall Cherokee. See 'Scale Soaring, Vintage Gliders, Documentation and Plans' for free downloads of plans and instructions of both 1/4 and 1/3 scale so you can see how he has set the dihedral. I can confirm that there is no washout. I've had mine a while and it remains my favourite and gets flown more than the others. I can confirm that it will fly fine in 30 knots of wind, penetration is good with that canoe nose. You are going to enjoy it. Have fun.

Roger
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Peter,
Just looked at the David Smith design.
This uses an HQ wing section (HQ3.5/14) - which explains the absence of any built in washout.
Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith »

Nicely done, Peter!

Let's see the maiden pictures when it happens.

Attached a picture of mine last weekend, now in its 8th year.
39.jpg
Dave Smith
Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith »

And also my humble apologies for not checking in long before this....I could have answered your dihedral/washout questions (although the responders did a good job!)

I've neglected SSUK lately, but I promise to pay closer attention!

DS