• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Horizon Hobby ASH31 6.4 metre

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: Horizon Hobby ASH31 6.4 metre

Post by VinceC »

£ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ >>>>>
terry white

Post by terry white »

2700 American dollars Vince. :o

Controversial I know,------- only because its new, I remember when computer radios were just as controversial,now every one and their aunty has one.
I fully understand if the glider purist sees the propeller on the front of a glider as a boil on the face of Linda Lusardi, but each to their own, not every one is as pedantic as they. :cry:

Ali mentioned in his talk that many full size gliders are now removing their up and go units and fitting nose motors as per our model installations. This is very much the case now here in Europe. One company reports three installations a week and that's just one company. Ali also mentioned that no longer do we need to put our expensive models in jeopardy to find that illusive thermal because we can now be assured of getting her home, doing away with the need to land out. This makes for a much,much safer situation for both the model and others.

So to recap, we can fit a motor up front, the model will still be in perfect scale, be much safer for everybody, and allow us to fly on our own if we wish. Full electric R.O.G. is here,I predict that within the next few years all who wish to fit them will have them fitted. And lets face it if the installation is done correctly you can hardly see the prop, check out Ali's model. 8-)

I have fitted the same installation to all my gliders and I am really enjoying the experience and the confidence that a motor brings.Also if the wind is someway off of the slope I can still fly safety while others without motors can only sit and watch. Most of the clubs here in the South have now welcomed motorized gliders. Even the National Trust have now allowed them to be flown on a few of their sites with other sites to follow soon.

I am not saying everybody should go out and fit a motor. It would obviously be wrong on the front of an old timer. horses for coarses and all that. :lol:

So no more need for the silly forum police thingy to post every time a motor is mentioned, let them instead welcome in the 21centry . Terry.
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

terry white wrote: 26 May 2018, 22:32

I am not saying everybody should go out and fit a motor. It would obviously be wrong on the front of an old timer. horses for coarses and all that. :lol:
Or they should at least keep it period and use lead acid batteries and brushed motors :lol:

BTW the ASH does look very nice, I wonder if there was any input from their acquisition of Staufenbeil.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

I agree the 31 looks lovely. I think it's made by RCRCM in China.
Paul Chisholm

Post by Paul Chisholm »

Hi Has any one got one flying in the UK yet? interested in opinions on performance etc?
regards
Paul C :shock:
sruelle

Post by sruelle »

I have been Flying one of the preproduction model since June, and I would say it is quite to my taste.

In comparison to the model I built, the part that has impressed me the most is responsiveness on all axis for such a model with high aspect ratio.
Range of speed is quite good, you can thermal low ans slow like the ASW-20 from the same Brand, sign that there is no nasty behavior, can speed up for sure, I think we clocked it 120mph which is plenty for me... probably possible to increase speed, Ali added 10lb of lead as ballast on a plane that weight 23Lb :o

If you have any questions, I will be morhttps://youtu.be/9-BnifMjGDwe than glad to answer them the best I can

Here is a gentle video of one evening soaring

I plan to make a video of an aerobatic program to see how it handle it, even if that type of sailplane has not been made for it ;)

[youtube][/youtube]

Stéphane
Team Horizon