• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Purbeck ASW27

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Barry_Cole

Re: Purbeck ASW27

Post by Barry_Cole »

I am sure that Terry White (The designer), will be along soon with the answer.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Weds

Post by Weds »

Just measured my wing joiner on my Purbeck ASW and it came out 11.89mm or 0.468" so neither 12mm or 1/2 inch..
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Brancoll, Great to hear from Hong Kong. We sent a number of ASW27 to Hong Kong in our time. It always tickled us that our small family business through our workshop would be sending our models out to Hong Kong. Three were sent in one shipment in 1994 to which I believe you now own one, this because the steel joiner bars were of imperial measurement. This was quite usual back in the day when England was still not sure of the metric system and one could buy weight by Klg and builders requirement by Ft & Inches. I must say that it is only a little better now. People still say pint of milk or a piece of 4"x2" joist timbers.
Mr. Weds is quite right with his measurement when he found the size to be between Imperial and metric. This is because of the need to get a really good sliding fit between the outside diameter of the steel and the internal diameter of the brass, each produced by different manufacturers with different tolerances.
It is unfortunate that you have lost the steel far away in Hong Kong because the cost of requiring a replacement would be expensive to post. If you have a metal worker in the area My first thought would be to have a 12mm bar turned down to the correct size 11.9mm. As you can see the difference is very small and would not take much to do on a lathe, If this is not possible I would fit a roll of medium emery cloth to a 8-9mm dowel and ream out the inside of the brass tube. This is not so difficult as trying to sand down the outside of the steel joiner. There is plenty of 'meat' on the brass wall of the tube to do this. The brass is bonded into a solid Jeletong timber block running the length of the brass anyway so you should not weaken it.

However perhaps the best way forward is to obtain the correct size carbon rod from one of our suppliers on eBay and be done with it. I hope that helps. Please keep us all informed on your progress. The purchasers of the original kits told me stories of landing on nets strung across the slope on bushes and trees as they had no other landing area. Is this still the same? Good luck with the revamp. Terry White. Purbeck Sailplanes.

Steel Joiner bar for ASW27-- ------11.90mm x 360mm of EN16 steel.
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

. . . . and here's something that you won't see very often, three Purbeck Sailplanes ASW 27s in the air together.
Pilots are Weds, Swarrans and Mr Goodwind.

Video courtesy of Miniphase (aka Goodwind Soaring)
Camera operator - me.
Video editor, to sort out the shaky camera footage - Mr Goodwind.
http://goodwindsoaring.blogspot.com/
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Follow up on the joiner part of the thread/post:

Terry mentions the stock joiner is 360mm.

On my wings, the joiner pocket is 130mm deep on each (260mm total) and the fuse is 180mm wide, for a total of 440mm. Seems unlikely a 360mm joiner would have 80mm of slack to disappear into!

Question: Should I pack out each wing to avoid the joiner sliding too far into one or the other, or source a longer joiner?

What does the assembled hive mind think?

TIA
M
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
sp250

Post by sp250 »

Deffo source a longer joiner, or even two - one carbon for light days and another solid steel for a bit of ballast. My Baudis Salto had the two and a 1kg difference between them.

John M