• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Purbeck ASW27

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
matt

Re: Purbeck ASW27

Post by matt »

I do have other information that was supplied such as the full size documentation and the root to tip wing section transition plans if they are relevant. Matt
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Bas,

Matt is to be congratulated for his grand effort in scanning all the pages of the building manual for us. He is a very busy man at the moment and dropped time working on his new house to scan and post the info. Thanks Matt.
Reading through the manual took me back a bit (over 20 years). I remember my daughter in law coming to the workshop night after night for a couple of week while we composed it while Rick sat at his computer drawing the diagrams. Such it was in those early days that we did everything ourselves, right down to writing and producing the manual. (I bet there's a few spelling mistakes in there Barry :D )

Matt's manual shown here is one of the very first produced. It mentions that within the fuselage lay up there is an amount of chopped strand matt and polyester resin. This was soon replaced with glass cloth and epoxy resin throughout, which without doubt is both stronger and more resilient then its polyester cousin.

Your first post mentioned you were unsure of the C.G position.
You will note on the instructions that we placed it at 78mm from the leading edge at root. This will be fine for your maiden as it is a tad forward and safe. Take it back slowly until it feels right for your style of flying.

Use this thread if you require any more help on the rebuild as others may be interested in your project or of coarse you can P.M. me. Regards Terry.
Last edited by terry white on 22 May 2015, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Bas_Aldwell

Post by Bas_Aldwell »

Hi Matt,
Many thanks for doing this, very kind and a great help.

Terry,
I'm working through the radio set up and linkages, then it's on to the wing fixing - there are hooks in the wing roots for a rubber band but they're directly behind the wing joiner tube and almost impossible to access! I'm planning to move them forward to in front of the spoiler cables. Thanks for your help and I'll keep this topic updated with my progress.

Cheers Bas
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Bas,
are you sure that the builder didn't expected you to fit the rubber band through the fus and onto the hooks from outside the fus just before you finally push the wings home. The bands only need to be tight enough as to hold the wing in place. The gap between the fus and the wing should then be taped not only help stop the wing from parting the fus but to stop the high pressure air on the underside of the wing escaping to the low pressure air on top of the wing, Thus spoiling the airflow over the wing at that point.
The reason I suspect that he fitted the hooks at that position is because they would have accessed the much stronger wooden block carrying the wing joiner tube rather then just the ply root rib. Also a pull at the centre of the wing cord is better then one at the leading edge.
I use this idea on my Graffiti and when I take the wings off I use a cocktail stick to hold the bands stretched through the fus ready for next time. ;)

Regards Terry.
Bas_Aldwell

Post by Bas_Aldwell »

Hi Terry,
Many thanks for that; sort of thing I should have twigged - but didn't! Cocktail sticks & bands will be sorted tomorrow. :D
Bas
matt

Post by matt »

After talking to Simon C on the slope i have taken delivery today of his Purbeck dg 800. He is a busy man with many projects and has been very kind to let me have his. This will be my first 1/3 scale glider and a long term project which i hope to start soon. Matt (The Slop Doctor).
Bas_Aldwell

Post by Bas_Aldwell »

Decent westerly tonight, so load car,
yes, she fits in a Smart car!
yes, she fits in a Smart car!
up to the slope and no-one around...
ready to go
ready to go
so with some trepidation go for a self launch. No problem in the end and she flew beautifully. The sun was front and centre so only flew some gentle circuits and then practice landing patterns. All went well till one of the airbrakes stuck up and she was too high to land but too low to make a full circuit! A hasty up/cross slope landing raised the heart rate but the only damage was one side of the rudder horn snapped off. I'm happy - new rudder horn and a tweak on the airbrake linkage and she'll be ready for the next westerly :)
terry white

Post by terry white »

Well done Bas,

We all like to hear about a good maiden flight, especially one that has a little adrenaline pumping, but ends well anyway.
Now that you know she wont bite you, you can look forward to many happy flying hours with her.

She looks cool in her yellow colour scheme and your photos are great, keep them coming. Hey where's the wife, girl friend, dog going to sit in the car? :lol:

Tell us, is the German structure shown in the picture your club house and If it starts to rain, can you all retire to it, stick your aerials out the slits and carry on flying? :lol:

How about bringing her over to the next Middle Wallop fly in? details on the calendar. Regards Terry.
Bas_Aldwell

Post by Bas_Aldwell »

Thanks Terry,

Wife/kids not interested in my 'toys', but it's less that 5 mins in the car to the slope - so they could always walk if they want to watch :)

The German tower is privately owned and is opened some weekends for viewing. Its claimed a few gliders over the years; when we used to fly from a spot closer to it I hit it whilst doing pylon turns round it - obliterated everything except one wing panel! We fly further along now and make our approaches from the opposite side.

Can't make Middle Wallop for a while as my 'weekend away' is booked for this & next year and given the way Condor Ferries are going, who knows after that!

Cheers Bas
brancoli

Post by brancoli »

Hi,
Can someone tell me the exact diameter size of Purbeck asw27 wing joiner?
I lost my joiner and try to fit one 12mm steel rod but seem too big!
Cheers