• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Purbeck ASW27

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Bas_Aldwell

Purbeck ASW27

Post by Bas_Aldwell »

This has just joined my stable here in Guernsey but no instructions or CofG info. Would anyone have a set of instructions they could email to me? Thanks.
Attachments
ASW27
ASW27
Barry_Cole

Re: Purbeck ASW27

Post by Barry_Cole »

Terry White might have one, but watch the spelling...

BC
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Bas,

Good to hear you have one of our ASW 27 to play with.
I'm sure you will have great fun with it.
You can watch others flying our 27 on YouTube, just bang in Purbeck ASW 27 .Others may share their experience of the model here for you.
For some reason I have had trouble getting the instruction manual up on my computer since the computer fell over a while ago. However My friend and SSUK member Matt will post all you need here shortly.

Matt and I will also post interesting info for you so keep an eye on this thread.

Regards Terry (Purbeck sailplanes)
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

BTW if anyone has a Purbeck ASW27 surplus to their requirements I would be interested in buying one....

Cheers

Simon
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Iv been led to believe that my recent purchase (see 1/3 scale DG 600 thread) could be one of three or four fuzulage's made at the purbeck hanger?? I don't want to cross threads here but someone may be able to confirm that the purbeck team made some prototype DG600's ? I have seen a couple of small images referring to a couple of models being built by them but not kitted due to costings at the time, I wonder if anyone has any more info? I was told simon cocker had one of the same fuzulage's but I have not confirmed this info yet.
I do hope any news is good news regarding the purbeck range as I missed the chance of grabbing one of there excellent models yrs ago.
Attachments
image.jpg
Evidence of the purbeck DG ?
Evidence of the purbeck DG ?
Bas_Aldwell

Post by Bas_Aldwell »

Hi Terry,
Thanks for the reply. I've seen some of the videos and been impressed. This one will need some work on the radio installation and wing retention but hopefully she'll be back in the air soon.
Bas
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi C,

We at Purbeck did make 4No prototype D.G.800.One for my son and partner Rick, one for myself and one for Mr Simon Cocker to do a kit review within RCM&E.and one as a spare for any required alterations. These were prototypes for us to try and break before going into production. :D
Simon has only just taken delivery of his this last week due to the staff of Purbeck Sailplanes doing other work'y things over the past 15-16 years. However now that I'm retired (I know, I know, I don't look that old )I have been able to complete the kits as previously expected.

I have gone on to nearly complete my model DG800 to a ready to spray completion. It will be an all glass finish at over 6mtrs span with tip extensions and tiplets, Probably ready for next year now due to the flying season being upon us. Ricks is someway behind due to his 'real' work load and Simon's is almost ready to take out the box :lol:

We made four fuselages altogether and I can account for all four so I don't believe that the one you show is from the Purbeck stable, Sorry.
Also all our 1/3 scale models were extensively reinforced within the vulnerable areas with carbon cloth during lay up, such as under the large cockpit opening, wing roots, retract area, tail boom and fin. As I cannot see any such reinforcement in your fus it re-confirms my feeling that this is not one of our mouldings. Also all our mouldings carry the Purbeck logo under the last lay-up which can be easily read.

The fuselage for the 600 and the 800 are basically the same, it is the wing and tail plane that differs both in plan form, aileron and flap mix and the sections. Our moulding was slightly stretched at the wing root area from pure scale to allow it to easily accommodate an up and go unit if required.

At about the time that we were designing the 800 another company called P.J.models were producing the 600. So it may well be that you have found one of their mouldings.
Whatever from what I can see it should make into a great model. Take care on your choice of wing sections and flap/aileron lengths you choose, don't build too lightly as you will probably have to add ballast anyway. The wing area is immense, so take the opportunity to build strong, with a good 'I' beam carbon spare running the length of your wing, and carbon cloth laid diagonally the full length top and bottom under the veneer.

Hope this has helped and we wish you all the best with your new project. kind regards Terry (Purbeck Sailplanes)
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Hiya Terry
Thanks for your help,I wasn't sure about the back story to my fuz I recently bought, in fact I didn't know anything about it until I collected it. your correct that iv no local carbon reinforcement and as you can account for all the ones you've made then it's obviously not from you! It looks like there will be lots of 1/3 scale british made DG's out there next year ! Which can only be a good thing.
Iv never fitted out a large glass fuz before so perhaps later this year I can bend your ear on getting this beauty fitted out and reinforced in all the right places? Barry at foamwings UK will be sorting out my wings and tailplane for me so I'm sure he will sort me out as he has done this before a few times haha I will look into the PJ link cheers .
Good to hear there's life at purbeck sailplanes again, sounds like a busy but rewarding retirement :)

Chris.
UPDATE,,,
After a quick "Google" it seems that terry is correct (aka Sherlock!) it seems my DG fuz may very well be a PJ models prototype fuz,,,,,,thanks for your help terry all I need to do is build it now!
Sorry for crossing into this thread.
matt

Post by matt »

Image.jpg
Image (2).jpg
Image (3).jpg
Image (4).jpg
Image (5).jpg
Image (6).jpg
Image (7).jpg
Image (8).jpg