• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Wing material covering solved

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
VinceC
Site Admin

Wing material covering solved

Post by VinceC »

Ever since the beginning of aviation Cellulose Dope has been able to be sent in the post. Now with the Nanny State and Health and Safety, it is one of many modelling products I can never get sent to me on my island, which can make my life very difficult, but not to be beaten I found a product to stick down Fabric covering on my wings and it works a real treat.

Step forward Ronseal "Wet Rot Wood Hardener" although other makes are available. It flows like water and appears to be cellulose based. The side benefit is, if something goes wrong in your covering, it doesn't go completely hard for a few days and in the meantime an extra application will allow you to lift and reposition.

Having completed the covering by fastening the edges, I heat shrank the fabric and then painted over all the wood areas with the fixative. Unfortunately a couple of bubbles appeared, but with another quick blow over with the heat gun, they disappeared.

I think I may make this stuff my go to preference for covering and stuff the Postman who works against me. I will survive :)
Attachments
ae235.jpeg
Zephyrus Wing.JPG
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: Wing material covering solved

Post by VinceC »

Lightweight Ceconite