• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Westerly-ho!

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Jolly Roger

Westerly-ho!

Post by Jolly Roger »

At last, a breeze with a bit of West in it. :mrgreen:

The conditions were a bit scratchy so most of the flight was well below the top edge, giving a chance to explore every crack in the cliff with my ASH25 wingtips.

Boomer thermals drifted by once in a while, marked by buzzards, allowing several hundred feet of height to be turned into howling low passes and hairybatic manouvres, some of them intentional.

Good times.
Attachments
Launch.JPG
Rock-polish3.JPG
Rock-polish6.JPG
Tree-fence-tree-fence.JPG
chris williams

Re: Westerly-ho!

Post by chris williams »

Have you ever landed out at that location, Rog...? :o
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

chris williams wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 00:14 Have you ever landed out at that location, Rog...? :o
So far just once Chris. The wind swung 180 deg just after I'd chucked off my Teakle ASW20 so I had a brief flight in dramatic sink ending in a tree. This was 2002, before the days of cheap electric powertrains. I put motors in the nose of my gliders these days, and fit the prop if the conditions are iffy.

Having said that, it's a point of pride for me not to use the motor unless a land-out is absolutely inevitable. Yesterday I was extremely low and just as my finger reached for the switch the wings waggled, I hooked a thermal and was away. Only when I landed did I discover I'd forgotten to connect the LiPo leads! There's no cure for stupidity.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

See Chris, you are not alone.....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC
terry white

Post by terry white »

Not for the faint hearted 'eh' Roger. :lol:
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

terry white wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 09:39 Not for the faint hearted 'eh' Roger. :lol:

Yes you do get some sweaty-thumb moments! Similar to flying out over the sea.
Attachments
Options, options....JPG
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

I did once, at least from the edge of the Yorkshire Gliding Clubs field after the VGC rally. I flew my Minimoa, and then my K18. We had a heavy shower come through, but then we tried again. Then the lift went and I could not get back to the ridge. Landed her in a field just by the road. Tricky because it was overcast.
John
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Yes a shadow is so helpful in judging a landing out. From the cliff I fly from, the nearest landing-out field is next to our house (X) but it's at my absolute limits of vision. At least I wouldn't have far to carry the pieces back to the workshop. :(
Attachments
Land out option, Whitestonecliffe.JPG