• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Fuselage wing joiner tubes info please

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
roo Hawkins

Re: Fuselage wing joiner tubes info please

Post by roo Hawkins »

Two carbon tubes for my pt asw 20 build. One at 16mm for the wings and the other one 14mm for the joiner. The 16mm will have a 12mm stainless rod glued inside. Both tubes are gloss and have no slop at all. The tube is about £6 to £7 each.
Attachments
20181023_115636.jpg
20181023_115709.jpg
20181023_115807.jpg
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Two carbon tubes for my pt asw 20 build. One at 16mm for the wings and the other one 14mm for the joiner. The 16mm will have a 12mm stainless rod glued inside. Both tubes are gloss and have no slop at all. The tube is about £6 to £7 each. The bottom picture is from my asw 27 and has a steel rod glued in 1 in from the end.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

These people have a good range:-

http://www.fighteraces.co.uk/product/wing-tubes/

:) :) :) :)

BC
Dave Cooper

Post by Dave Cooper »

I think there are many things to consider here - wing span, loading, depth of tube penetration, slider fit, fuselage interface etc. etc.

On my little Capstan for instance, I use solid steel rod in a brass tube with a penetration of about 30% span. When the wings are slid on, and locked-in, there is slight anhedral. However, under flying loads this converts to approx. 2 deg's of dihedral. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily recommend this approach for an aerobatic model (high 'g' loadings), I think it is ok for a small, gentle scale soarer.

Also, in the event of a mis-hap, what do you want to 'let go' first. In my case it should be one (or more) of the nylon securing bolts that lock wing to joiner box and turtle deck to fus' (ie a 2-axis fixing). A steel rod would probably also be bent if it cartwheeled in. After that, it would most likely be partial (or total) wing failure - foam veneer construction. So, I'll carry spare joiner rods and nylon bolts just in case. Inside the turtle deck, the wing halves are also sprung together with a short tension spring which will also have some 'give'.

Due for a maiden soon, so then we find out if the above theories hold water !
Dave