• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Fuselage wing joiner tubes info please

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Chris Wynn

Fuselage wing joiner tubes info please

Post by Chris Wynn »

Greetings fellow members, given the choice of aluminium or carbon fibre for fuselage tubes to hold the wing joiner rods, which would you
choose? I've just taken ally ones out of the plank which bent when we had our last 'arrival' on the hill but I question whether carbon would be any better? Your thoughts please.
Chris.
The other CW...
Barry_Cole

Re: Fuselage wing joiner tubes info please

Post by Barry_Cole »

Any chance or a sketch or photo to explain...
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

if we talk here about the tubes inside fuselage and wings I would say aluminium or carbon is not critical. I make my own from glass as per attached picture for my Nimbus built, The tubes were made with the carbon joiners as template so they fit very well.
The tubes do not need any strength, they have not really much structural purpose, the main use is guiding the joiners
The formers or ribs were the tubes are attached too take the weight and flying forces direct from the joiner rods
Attachments
nimbus tubes and joiners
nimbus tubes and joiners
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Hi Jilles,

interested to hear your technique for making these tubes. I'm certain I'd just manage to glue a load of glass to my carbon rods...

Ell.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Thanks Ell, saved me asking that question.
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

see built threads . I just added two posts how to fabricate glass sleeves my way
There might be other ones but this suits me well.
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Hi I use carbon tube from eBay for wing tubes. Some times I use a steel rod for the wings joiner that fits the tube and some times I glue a steel rod in to a carbon tube and then that slides in to the carbon wing tubes. If you go to eBay you can get lot of carbon tubes that will fit into each other plus you can get stainless rod to fit ..Karkan carbon on eBay are good and rino steels for the wings joiners are also on eBay. No need to make them when you can get them off the net and less work than making them yourself.
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

You cannot buy many tubes and rods of different make and material that actually fits properly with the required play or not too tight
If you can get them go for it. The amount of work to make them yourself is insignificant compared to the built time of a decent scale glider. At least if you want to built the glider properly
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

I am not being critical of the way you do them it is cheaper and you do get a good fit. I myself have not had a problem with a good fit with carbon tube if you do it with a steel glued in to a carbon tube and then to fit a carbon tube in the wings you can buy gloss carbon for the one for the wings joiner this will be tight so you can sand it for a perfect fit. It also makes a very strong joiner by glueing steel in a carbon tube.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Many thanks for the info Jilles.
When looking at the ASK21 joiners recently, I bought a 16mm chrome steel linear guide rail & was prepared to have a go at making up a glass tube if I couldn’t get a suitable carbon tube.
However, I found a 16/18mm tube on eBay which was a perfect sliding fit when it arrived, so I didn’t need to explore the backstop option :)