• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Using 1.5mm Balsa instead of 0.4mm Ply

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Jus Gordon

Using 1.5mm Balsa instead of 0.4mm Ply

Post by Jus Gordon »

Hi

I am going to take the plunge and have a go at building a scale glider, so I have a Charlesworth KA6e short kit on order with Cliff. One of my problems will be sourcing 0.4mm birch ply over here and it's very expensive.

I was thinking about substituting the 0.4mm ply for hard balsa 1.5mm sheeting on the fuselage, wings, fin and tail plane. The fuselage would be glassed.

Is it feasible alternative or should I stick to the original plan and use ply?

Cheers
Jus
John Vella

Re: Using 1.5mm Balsa instead of 0.4mm Ply

Post by John Vella »

Jus, just some thoughts on 0.4mm ply. I have built several vintage gliders and prefer 0.4 ply to 1.5mm balsa. I know it is relatively expensive, but when you look at the process of manufacturing 3 layers and glue in 0.4mm it is amazing. Also when you compare the costs of producing a moulded glider it is still good value. Best of luck with your build. Regards John.
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

I can't give an authoritative steer on that but you are right - it is horribly expensive so we all ought to be thinking of ways round the problem. One possibility with wings is to use obeche veneer which is a fraction of the cost of ply and comes in satisfyingly large sheets - not sure if you can source it in Hong Kong though! I've built 1/4 scale gliders with fully sheeted 1/16 balsa wings that are then glassed and they have been fine.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

1.5mm balsa, even glassed on both sides, would be horribly weak for a 1/4 scale fuselage. If the fuz is being covered in individual panels, as per the full-size, then maybe 0.8mm ply would be a suitable substitute...? When it comes to the wings, though, all my gliders have theirs covered with hard 1.5mm balsa... The extra weight on the fuz might then be compensated by the weight reduction in the wings...
Jus Gordon

Post by Jus Gordon »

Thanks for the replies gents.

It looks like the best option is to stick to the original plan and use 0.4mm ply..Time to get the wallet out!
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

Jus Gordon wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 04:42 Thanks for the replies gents.

It looks like the best option is to stick to the original plan and use 0.4mm ply..Time to get the wallet out!
Have a look at Avonply, not your model shop
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Doubt if Avon Ply would ship to Hong Kong though Geoff. :(
MDev

Post by MDev »

The last 0.8 birch 1/2 shèet from Avon ply I brought was £47 I seem to remember its made in Scandanavia, there must be some suppliers east of Greenwich? China makes everything else, the model making factories over there must get theirs from somewhere?