• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Bottom hinged ailerons

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
chris williams

Re: Bottom hinged ailerons

Post by chris williams »

A thing of beauty nonetheless, Robbie... I've often wondered about the drag of the lower part of the Frise aileron being used to offset adverse yaw. Not a problem on a powered aircraft, but on a glider, where efficiency rules...?
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Very impressive Robbie, both the finished result and the time and effort in achieving it.

It may have inspired me to stick with the Frise :shock:
Malcolm B

Post by Malcolm B »

I used robart type hinges mounted in a suitable size square section brass tube for the flaps on my 1/4 scale cub. They are a good fit and can be epoxied and secured with a 2mm bolt and nut. The whole assembly can then be packed in balsa or ply for an easy attachment to the wing.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Malcolm B wrote: 15 Mar 2019, 12:41 I used robart type hinges mounted in a suitable size square section brass tube for the flaps on my 1/4 scale cub. They are a good fit and can be epoxied and secured with a 2mm bolt and nut. The whole assembly can then be packed in balsa or ply for an easy attachment to the wing.
Interesting Malcolm, any pictures?
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

chris williams wrote: 15 Mar 2019, 00:20 '........ I've often wondered about the drag of the lower part of the Frise aileron being used to offset adverse yaw. Not a problem on a powered aircraft, but on a glider, where efficiency rules...?
Probably why they were not very common even into the semi modern era Chris.

Interestingly, having access to a full size M100 pilot (the glider that is, not the pilot although he is pretty near full size), he has told me that frise or no frise ailerons it still needed a good clog of rudder going into the roll. We shall see.