• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Phoenix Ka8 rebuild

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Stuart Ward

Phoenix Ka8 rebuild

Post by Stuart Ward »

Hi fellow builders of wooden gliders,
I have been given a pair of wings for the Phoenix Models Ka8 1:2.5 scale or should that be semi scale model. The owner of the wing is not in a position to rebuild the plane after its demise.
This is all that was left after the crash of the this is all that was left after the crash of the Phoenix
This is all that was left after the crash of the this is all that was left after the crash of the Phoenix
I would like to make a fuselage to go with this wing, but I cannot find a 1:2.5 scale plan. But I do have a 1:3.5 scale plan that is very detailed which I have enlarged up to 1:2.5.

There are a few question that I would like to ask.
1. What are your thoughts regarding the new versions of the wings. Are they worth investing time and money building a fus for them. And if the answer is yes, then I would like to ask what I need to scale on the plan in the way of wood sizes
IMG_0701.JPG
2. On the plan the longerons are marked as 8 mm sq but scale as 10mm sq. To me, 10 mm looks about right. What are your thoughts. Should I make them 10mm or will 8 mm be strong enough? Silmilarly the 5mm struts and braces might need to be 6 and 8 respectively.

The the foil on the new Phoenix wings are HQ..at 15% thick. What should the incidence be? 1.5°?

Look forward to you thoughts

Stuart
Tom Pack

Re: Phoenix Ka8 rebuild

Post by Tom Pack »

Unless you’re willing to “rebuild” the wings also I wouldn’t bother........the “new” version of the wings still has no real spar.....the factory added an aluminum tube in the middle of the D-box that goes out about 3/4 of the length of the main panels. The only correct “fix” is to strip the wings and add wood spar caps with shear webbing. Here is how I fixed the “spar” issue.....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... tion/page1
Stuart Ward

Post by Stuart Ward »

Hi Tom, I had a look through your RC groups thread. That's a great resource. Thanks for posting.
It's well worth adding the spars in the fashion that you suggest if the project goes ahead.
Just a note on the crashed one in the first photo that I posted, the root cause was the carbon tube joiner on one of the wing tip panels failed. I believe that most other owners of this model had replaced them with solid carbon rod. I'm not sure why he didn't.
Tom , what are you using for he centre wing joiners?
Stu
Tom Pack

Post by Tom Pack »

Stuart Ward wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 18:06 Hi Tom, I had a look through your RC groups thread. That's a great resource. Thanks for posting.
It's well worth adding the spars in the fashion that you suggest if the project goes ahead.
Just a note on the crashed one in the first photo that I posted, the root cause was the carbon tube joiner on one of the wing tip panels failed. I believe that most other owners of this model had replaced them with solid carbon rod. I'm not sure why he didn't.
Tom , what are you using for he centre wing joiners?
Stu
Stu.......mine uses solid carbon rods for the outer panel joiners and I’m using the supplied aluminum joiner tubes for the main joiners at the fuse........