• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Chris Williams Flamingo

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
steve white1

Chris Williams Flamingo

Post by steve white1 »

Hi im cracking on with this build but have got stuck on the following.

On the inner wing panels at what point does the taper of the top and bottom spar start, and what is the taper.
There is nothing on the plan to indicate this.
What point does the dihedral break start rib 10 or 11 again not shown on plan.

On the outer panels again at what point does the taper of the top and bottom spar begin and what is the taper at the tip, again cant find any details on the plan.

Hope someone out there can help.
Thanks.
chris williams

Re: Chris Williams Flamingo

Post by chris williams »

Steve, the Petrel plan is so old that it's pre-digital, so I have very few construction pics. So, how far have you got with the wing? Have you cut the ribs yet? The reason I ask is that I have built another one in more recent times and have plenty of info that will be relevant?
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Chris - wrong glider
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

He is in shock, he missed a day's flying yesterday, and Sunday's scale do is cancelled....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC
steve white1

Post by steve white1 »

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply but its the Flamingo im having trouble with, there is lots of detail on the plan but the points I have raised seem to be missing.
Cheers.
Steve
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Ooops, wrong tablets again... (The blue ones, the BLUE ones!) Steve, the inner panel spars are 12 x 6mm and not tapered. The outer panel spars taper from 12 x 6mm at the gull join to 6mm sq. at the tip. The gull join is at rib 10...

Do you have the instructions and build pics?
Attachments
15.jpg
steve white1

Post by steve white1 »

Hi Chris. Thanks for that.
So basically the outer spar tapers all the way from the gull break to the tip.
The taper on the inner panel I was referring to is the one shown on the photo you posted which is on the gull join, the top and bottom spars are cut at a taper/ angle but how do you determine that angle?
Do you set up the inner and outer panel on the jigs ie. set them at the gull angle and then cut them?
Cheers.
Steve.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Here's the relevant sample from comprehensive build instructions...

Before the outer panel can be built up, it will be necessary to chamfer off the end of the top spar. Raise the outer end of the inboard panel to a height of 45mm and offer up the top spar, marking off the excess and trimming accordingly. Now pin the lower tapered spar of the outer panel to the board and dry fit the ribs, upper spar and leading & trailing edges. All the rib joints can then be cyanoed when you are happy with the fit. Now white glue in place four 0.75 ply webs to the rear of the spars to lock them in place. When the glue has dried, the panel can be removed from the board ready to be joined to the inner panel, but first, glue in place all the remaining ply webs. Place the inner panel on its jigging supports under R2 and R9, and the outer panel in its supports under R11 & R 28. Epoxy the spars together at the gull join when satisfied with the fit. Reinforce the butt join between the LE’s with 2.4mm balsa on the inside. The little piece of TE between R10 and R11 can be epoxied in place with a small piece of 1mm piano wire to reinforce the joint and a 2.4mm balsa gusset. Now the gull join can be reinforced with 1.5mm ply dihedral braces each side of the join

email me and I'll send you all the full information...
steve white1

Post by steve white1 »

Thanks Chris.
Think I have it now.
But would like to see full build instructions if its not to much trouble.
Cheers.
Steve.
Will PM my E Mail.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Details sent... ;)