• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Change servos or not? ASW 17

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
VicG

Change servos or not? ASW 17

Post by VicG »

Hi all, hope you're all well. My first post here.
I bought this Robbe ASW 17 second hand a few years ago but haven't got around to doing anything with it yet, something I'm going to sort out very soon. She just needs a little TLC and a sticky speed brake sorted out.
I put her together once to test everything and all servos worked fine. My question is would you change the servos as a matter of course or if they're all working fine would you just leave them rather than disturb everything.
I don't know how long ago it was built but I guess it was quite a while ago.

Cheers, Vic

VicG

Re: Change servos or not? ASW 17

Post by VicG »

Hi Cliff,
Can't remember, easy access to it in the garage, I'll have a look a bit later today.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Unlike in us humans, I haven't spotted any correlation between old age and probability of failure as far as servos are concerned. I've got plenty of Futaba 128s and 148s in 30yr old slope soarers still going strong.
VicG

Post by VicG »

Hi Trevor,
I like your way of looking at it and it makes perfect sense.
VicG

Post by VicG »

Yes i was thinking they'd be ok but just wanted some views from more experienced people, this is the biggest model I've owned so far and 1st second hand one too lol.
Oh, and oldest ;)
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Vic, also it is worth remembering that it would not be the first time a brand new servo became the demise of a good model.You could spend good money and time changing old for new only to find one has let you down at around 399ft :roll:

I agree with my colleges leave them in,they are as likely to be as good as new. ;)
VicG

Post by VicG »

Thanks Gents, for your comments. I think I'll leave the servos as they are.
The rudder and elevator servos are Futaba 148's the ailerons are something else with red writing but I can't see what it says.
Thanks for the help.
VicG

Post by VicG »

terry white wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 14:11 Hi Vic, also it is worth remembering that it would not be the first time a brand new servo became the demise of a good model.You could spend good money and time changing old for new only to find one has let you down at around 399ft :roll:

I agree with my colleges leave them in,they are as likely to be as good as new. ;)
Thanks Terry, good point lol. ;)
John Deeming

Post by John Deeming »

Hi Vic,
This reply to your quiery about old servos is a bit late but I have only recently revived my registration on the site and I have been having a feast of browsing.
A couple of years ago I came across a You-Tube clip on building a simple DIY servo exerciser by Phil G. I made one of these and have found it use ful in restoring confidence in old servos and even new ones-----I won't go into details , watch the 9 minute video clip. I have a lot of old servos and they all seem to be sound ----I would be happy to use any of them. The device might put your mind at rest.
Coincidentally, almost at the same time as reading your post I noticed in the latest RCM&E, on page 10, "Counterpoint", Phil has gone commercial and is offering this gizmo but to exercise four servos at a time, for a modest £7. Well worthwhile in my opinion.
Hope this is of belated interest, sorry I can't post links but I'm not very clever with computers.
Regards, John D.
terry white

Post by terry white »

Vic just a thought, if the model is of some age the batteries in it are probably NI-cad 's If they are you may want to cycle them a few times under a reasonable load then leave them to see if they hold their charge. Also Ni-cads were notorious for creating the dreaded Black Wire syndrome. Many a down for models that had not been regularly checked against this disease. This is when the negative wire from the battery to the receiver has become corroded (often during a winter lay up) and appears black to the eye instead of a shinny silver or gold as one would expect of a serviceable wire. I would check this out before you fly as this old problem is more dangerous to you than an old but working servo. Terry.