• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Evening Sky

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Jolly Roger

Evening Sky

Post by Jolly Roger »

Fab weather in North Yorkshire today and I managed to get two washes pegged-out and dried on the line. Then, just as I was pairing up the socks, this beauty floated overhead. Could this day get any better?
Attachments
Sky.jpg
RobbieB

Re: Evening Sky

Post by RobbieB »

Jolly Roger wrote: 26 May 2019, 18:45 '.............Could this day get any better?

Only if all the socks matched up and no dye had run Rog.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

RobbieB wrote: 27 May 2019, 17:32
Jolly Roger wrote: 26 May 2019, 18:45 '.............Could this day get any better?

Only if all the socks matched up and no dye had run Rog.
No fear on that front Robbie. I am Laundry Man.

And yes... the day did get better. Turns out it's the VGC Rally at Sutton Bank this week!

Undeterred by inky-blue rainclouds, I headed up after lunch with my trusty Lumix. Arrived just as a rain storm came in that trapped me in the hangar for an hour. Still, worse places to be when the hangar is full of vintage gliders. They've had a good turnout, I'd guess 30+, but most were safe and dry in their trailers today.

Here's some photos showing a few caught in the rain...
Attachments
P1050253s.jpg
P1050254s.jpg
P1050256s.jpg
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Ah, sod of a job but I suppose someone has to do it Rog - up the club taking photies that is, not the laundry.

The Skylark 4 BGA1063, that has shaken a little dust off the memory banks - I must wade through some of my old hard copy photies and slides.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

I talked to the owner - lovely chap - he's owned it 10 years and had another Skylark 4 for 15 years before that. He loves the handling and relatively good performance, but most of all the exceptionally roomy cockpit (he's 6ft 3" and fits). One of the reasons I fly models is because the only glider that can take my 6ft 8" would be a two-seater with the front seat taken out. :shock:
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

You could always do what I do with my model pilots Rog. I often cut them off just above the boots and find they fit the cockpit much better!
Nice to see another surviving 463.
Brian. :lol:
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

B Sharp wrote: 29 May 2019, 07:35 You could always do what I do with my model pilots Rog. I often cut them off just above the boots and find they fit the cockpit much better!
Got me stumped there, Brian. ;)

Yeah the 463 is such a cute shape with its shy "don't mind me" hunched back and compact proportions. The owner of this one is the new UK VGC president. Apparently there's only 3 left flying.

Rog
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Four if you count my version. Did you see it fly last weekend?
It was also a nice machine to fly so long as you did not slow it down too much, especially in the turn! It wasn't known as the spin machine for nothing. My model echoes the full size characteristics almost exactly!!!
Brian. :)