• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Jantar 2a fuz

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
COLSON

Jantar 2a fuz

Post by COLSON »

Hi all,
It been ages since Iv dropped in!
Just acquired this Viking fuz of the jantar2a 1/4 scale 202 inch span.
I can well remember the adverts for these in radio modeller years ago and couldn't resist taking a "punt" on this,,,,alas no canopy or frame but I'm sure a suitable canopy could be sourced from sarik as for the canopy frame I guess it's about time I lost my glass fibre and resin virginity and mess about a bit!
It's a future project though as any day now my wife and I will be off to France to collect the keys too our new/ very old house (taking a year off to commence restoring the house) but I have some questions for those that may know.

What resin would have been used "back then" there's no odour to it inside (long since lost I suppose) my guess is it's over thirty years old now! I probably need to know so I don't mess up when I start gluing things inside as I don't want new resins conflicting with the original , not sure what wing section is but the plan shows only root and tip and it's obviously identical to the fuz at the root (wing plan is for the 202 inch span all built up!) not sure a built up wing is worth all the effort but I know of no one locally (Essex) who could do good cores for me and besides right now I have enough packing to do without long wings!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
COLSON

Re: Jantar 2a fuz

Post by COLSON »

Excuse upside down photos ! My iPad does that on here every time and I had forgotten to flip them before attaching grrrr ! The fuz is in fairly good order and I'm looking forwards to getting it into what will be a good sized workshop and not struggle in my 8x10 shed !
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Hi, I know the Viking models from the 70s. I had a DG 100. They were Polyester resin moulds. The built up wings are worth doing as my Wanitscheck Jantar 1 is still flying after some 35 years service. At quarter scale it flies at under 10lbs with a Fema retract and 4.75 m span., built up wings with glass finish. Regards John.
COLSON

Post by COLSON »

Ah polyester resin cheers John that's great.
Iv got a fema retract stashed away somewhere although I cant remember what size it is !
35 years ! That's not a bad return on the built up wing ! I may keep it light and simple and just build the balsa wing after all .
I'm moving soon so the project will await a new workshop in France but I'm hoping the local slopes will suit this size model (still got to investigate nearest hill) must say I can't wait to have more space so I can get cracking on some projects.
It's a royal shame no one has the moulds for these older models they deserve to be available as they are still fine models in there own right.
Cheers John
andyharrold

Post by andyharrold »

I have a similar fuz. I think that mine is a 2b. Mine has a low tailplane.

I will try and send some pictures.
They are also in a post asking for glider identification please!

Mine is 4.75m. The wings are foam obechi. The obechi is peeling away so I will probably scrap them.

I also require a canopy.

Do you have a plan?

Andy
andyharrold

Post by andyharrold »

I have a similar fuz. I think that mine is a 2b. Mine has a low tailplane.

I will try and send some pictures.
They are also in a post asking for glider identification please!

Mine is 4.75m. The wings are foam obechi. The obechi is peeling away so I will probably scrap them.

I also require a canopy.

Do you have a plan?

Andy
IMG_20190504_173626881_HDR.jpg