• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Minimoa colour scheme

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Paul_Williams

Re: Minimoa colour scheme

Post by Paul_Williams »

Looking through Peter Ockers book on Hans Jacobs, I spotted another colour photo of Rhonbussard D-15-818 with white nose and blue fuselage.
Also Kranich D-4-630 with a blue nose.
Other b/w photos might show further examples but with colour photos, we can at least be certain.

Paul
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

You would think so Paul, but colour rendition can be a problem
Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams »

As you say Vince, we entirely agree that for many technical reasons, colour photos will not tell us the exact shade of a colour.

What I was trying to say, was that we can see the 'general' colour of these gliders and know that it was not one specified for their regions in 1935/35 and that the colour is in the same range as the other gliders from after April 1937, that are white/blue but should be overall cream FAS.1.

Rather than the exact colour, I am more intrigued by the fact that we aren't so far seeing any other colours.
Although its still a very small sample, these gliders were registered in several different regions - so it does look like some widely adopted marking that we currently know nothing about.

Paul
IJNoble

Post by IJNoble »

Hi Paul,
Any chance of sharing the colour photo of Kranich 630 with us on here?

Cheers,
Ian
IJNoble

Post by IJNoble »

here's a couple of B&W photos of 2 D-4-XXX Kranichs I found on the net, plus a good quality D-15 Minimoa
Attachments
2049276.jpg
AK-Wasserkuppe-Segelflug-im-Doppelsitzer.jpg
nationalsozialismus-organisationen-nationalen-sozialistischen-flieger-korps-nationalsozialistisches-fliegerkorps-nsfk-taufe-von-segelflu.jpg
Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams »

Ian,
the photo of Kranich D-4-630 appear on page 321 of Hans Jacobs Pionierleben im Flugzeugbau by Peter Ocker, well worth buying for the photos alone despite being in German as Jacobs designed many of the classic German gliders. It also benefits from great drawings made by Vince - all in all a quality production.

The book is copyright and that's something I prefer to respect, especially as I think it was self published - a huge financial risk. Its often forgotten that researchers spend decades acquiring photos and documents from many sources - some donated, some purchased. I doubt any researcher expects to make any money - breaking even is a bonus !!

Kranich D-4-556 - is an interesting photo. I think its possible these might be 1936/37 colours Ocker/weiss, although interpretation from b/w is iffy.
Kranich D-4-606 - difficult to see any colour
Minimoa D-15-9 ??? although this looks red, that wasn't permitted and I doubt its black - possibly dark green ? but not the early colours

In Peter Riedels Uber Sonnige Weiten (over sunlit spaces) there is a nice b/w photo of an early open cockpit Kranich D-14-220.
This could be pre April 1937 but just a few were built before then - the (apparent) colour is white nose and pale (Hellblau ?) but again it doesn't conform to any of the 1935/36 colours

Really we could do with a good article on the colour distortion made by the various b/w camera film available in Germany during the 1930's.
Its a subject with reasonable coverage for WW1 era aircraft but I don't recall anything for the 30's - do you know of anything Vince ??

Paul
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Paul - As you know, I worked for Peter Ocker on the drawings for his book and he did send me quite a number of photos, but none in early colour, although I have them in the book.

I keep thinking of having a repository somehow for everyone to place their photos for all to access. It just seems a shame that many just sit on mine and others computers when all could make good use of them
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Isn't that what the website is for???

BC
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Barry, I have 12 GBytes of photos and data which is normally too big for a Forum/ website Server and goodness knows what else is available out there. Writing webpages to supply them would be out of the question. I am still thinking how it can be done
Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams »

Vince that's a splendid idea but as you say, photos take up a lot of Gbytes.
I think we have very little idea of who has collections or how large they might be - my guess is a lot more than we think.
Indeed, will any museums share their collections and SSUK could do likewise ?

This IT stuff is all Greek to me but I am dimly aware that websites are not necessarily for ever, so if they can cross-feed somehow, the information will still exist in other locations.

It may be that as state run museums are under financial pressure to be self funding and are obliged to charge for reproducing their photos in books and I can say from personal experience this can be £30 per photo ! Whether they would/could give online access is a moot point.

Unfortunately all historic images are now seen as having a commercial value (as they aren't making any more of them !) and some significant collections have been bought up for that reason by groups like Almey.

Paul