• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Let Model Retracts

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Elliot Howells

Let Model Retracts

Post by Elliot Howells »

Guys and dolls,

I've just about reached peak peeve with my 1:3 Let retract, scale in appearance, it's over engineered and utterly unreliable, has anyone managed to get theirs to work successfully? It needs a 180 degree servo, but even still the geometry doesn't quite lock at both ends. Interested to know if anyone has managed to replace theirs with a Fema style retract, space is snug with only 86mm between the fibreglass mounting frames. I want to fit an FES compatible unit, so now is a good time to bite the bullet.

Interested to hear of anyone else's experience.

Ell.
Attachments
IMG_9898.jpg
Barry_Cole

Re: Let Model Retracts

Post by Barry_Cole »

Elliot. If it is not locking, surely it just needs a longer arm on the servo??

BC
Chris Bowles

Post by Chris Bowles »

Hi Elliot, if it's any help, I had problems with the retract on my Let ASH31, only fixed when fitted the recommended servo Hitec HS 7950 TH, expensive but cured the problem
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

If it needs a servo that strong, I would question the design. The word crap comes to mind.....

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

I have to agree with Barry. For a third the price of the mentioned servo the A7040 HV metal geared retract servo will do the job. If this can't do the job then the design of the retract is rubbish. I use an old JR 203 retract servo on a FEMA retract with no probs on third scale. Regards John.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

To do the job properly, you must use a servo with 180 degrees travel. That way you get a mechanical lock at each end, with no load on the servo...

;) ;) ;) ;)

BC
Keith

Post by Keith »

Elliot is that a DG 1000. It looks like my old one as I put the registration letters on, and I also had trouble with the retract but did manage to get it working ok, if I recall I had a HiTech servo operating it.

Keith
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Hi Elliot, I agree with the somewhat over engineered statement, they are simular the the Hmodel unit I've got in my ASH 25, after bending the main tubes by running into ruff at the end of the Binham runway last year and repairing the retact the HiTec servo just wouldn't do the job anymore. Any slight misalignment of the mechanism seems exasperate the retraction motion, might be worth making sure that everything is moving smoothly without the servo.

I went with fairly cheap powerful analogue in the end with a 11Kg torque NewPower XL-38HMB, with the Jeti programing on my TX I can get over 180 degrees of movement, and it works well locking at both ends.

Antonia
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

guys, thanks for the input, this is an ASH26 Keith, not sure of it's provenance but she's mature, foam winged and I love her the most of all my toys.

I think I'm going to sack the retract off, FEMA do a FES specific model which is perfect, I'll just need to make it fixed rather than suspended, the cheeks of the wheel well preclude having the servo moving with the retract, I try not to thump them in anyway these days...

I was going to fit the WEMO retract unit as these are works of art, but I can't get hold of the fella, they do a really neat suspension unit too, if a bit pricey.

https://www.wemo-ezfw.de/produkt/federb ... nten-oben/

Anyone speak German? :)

Cheers, Ell.
Richard Onslow

Post by Richard Onslow »

The guy from Wemo never replied to my enquiry either. Maybe Brexit's come early for him... :)