• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Soaron Sailplanes PIK20 Kit

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Mick Tomlin

Soaron Sailplanes PIK20 Kit

Post by Mick Tomlin »

Peter Balcombe's rebuild reminded me that I had an unstarted Soaron Sailplanes 1/25% PIK20 kit from the early 80's patiently waiting for some attention.
Having retrieved it I have concentrated on the fuselage fit out and remaking a rudder that was missing along with the elevator.
Fortunately the original plan is still legible and refabrication was no problem.
What is unfortunate, maybe a blessing, is that the wings have over the last 35 years delaminated very badly and also twisted.
What I intend to do is cut a new set of wings utilizing a more modern wing section.
The question that I would appreciate help with is what wing section would best suit this model.
It will be used for both slope and aerotow.
Mick Tomlin
SH104098.JPG
SH104099.JPG
SH104100.JPG
SH104102.JPG
SH104104.JPG
SH104105.JPG
SH104106.JPG
SH104107.JPG
Jolly Roger

Re: Soaron Sailplanes PIK20 Kit

Post by Jolly Roger »

Well that's a blast from the past Mick. The fuselage looks to be in good condition.

Most people use the HQ3-14 or similar for a model of this size/wingloading. The 3% camber gives reasonable lift without too much drag while the 14% thickness at the root offers enough depth for decent strength, usually thinning to 11 or 12% at the tip.

The short cut would be to order some wings from Cliff - the Pat Teakle Pik 20 is the same scale. I understand they can be supplied in either white or blue foam and with the option of epoxy-bonded skins. It will save you a heap of work (unless you enjoy building!) and the quality is excellent.

I still have the Radio Modeller kit review by Kevin Wilson for the Soaron model, from the 80's. I really fancied one but it was beyond my means, then Pat Teakle brought out his more affordable kits and life got suddenly better.

Rog
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Actually, HQ35/12 or whatever thickness...I've only used the 3% camber once, and I could barely get the model to fly (3rd scale Club Libelle)
At 1/4 scale, the 12% thickness will work fine, and you won't need any washout
Mick Tomlin

Post by Mick Tomlin »

Thanks for the replies Roger and Chris.

The kit was a chrissy present from my wife back in the eighties and she is quite pleased that I have finally started to work on it.

The fuselage is top quality with excellent layup and finish. The only area that will need some work is the vertical fin.
Probably a tow of carbon to strengthen and straighten the fin post will be sufficient.

The existing wing root is at about 13%. I am thinking of possible HQ35/13-14 at the root going to HQ35/12-10 at the tip.

If this choice is acceptable it will require very little work to reprofile the fuselage to match.

Good idea to buy the wings in but I have plenty of blue foam and the finishing materials including brakes sitting on the shelf.

This will be an ideal project to use them up on.

Mick