• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Lasercutsailplanes K-18 modernised wing

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
harry curzon

Lasercutsailplanes K-18 modernised wing

Post by harry curzon »

Following my recent queries in the forum about the washout in the Charlesworth K-18, Lasercutsailplanes has brought out an entirely new wing for the model for which I am doing the first build. From the point of view of building it, the new wing is several quantum leaps forward compared to the original, and is sheer joy to build. The section is changed to a modern HQ, but it is the construction now using modern CAD that has transformed the build. The original design and kit was just whole ribs that had to be cut for the full depth box spar, thus allowing builder inaccuracy, and the making of the box spar and wing joiner alignment was not easy. The new kit uses an I beam spar and includes a lasercut full-span ply web for the I beam, all ribs have alignment tabs, root ribs have slots for the joiner brass box and alignment peg, root ribs are ply, there are front and rear sub spars for the airbrake box, false leading and trailing edges, false te and le for the aileron, and the ribs are slotted for these items including angled slots for the le of the aileron so that the bevel is built in.
So, if you are struggling with the K-18 wing build or thinking of buying one, talk to LCS and order the new wing, it is a revelation and worth every penny.
But there is more yet! Something I have not seen before. I bought an optional extra, a bed to hold the wing upside down when attaching the underside sheeting, so that the wing is free from twists as the sheeting locks its shape. Photo shows it ready to take the starboard wing upside down. The "ribs" are 1/8" ply, the "spars" are thick balsa, they interlock and the thick balsa makes it easy to pin securely to the building table. I glued a few bits of balsa to some "ribs" so that I can pin the wing to it whilst doing the sheeting.
20191024_145246.jpg