• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Pat Teakle Wing Spar help

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Pat Teakle Wing Spar help

Post by Peter Balcombe »

It looks as if you will have to change the wing joiners on everything then, unless someone has spare length of 14mm joiner strip squirrelled away.
Getting the existing brass boxes out of the fuselage shouldn’t be too difficult if you carefully saw through the existing tubes (use a full size hacksaw blade with tape wrapped around the end to protect your hand unless you can easily get a junior hacksaw in the space).
Once split, you can probably carefully wiggle the two cut ends from inside the Fuz to break the root end joints with little damage to the root itself (depends how good a job was made of the attachment, but even this can probably be removed in stages as it shouldn’t have bonded fantastically to the brass tube).

Getting the existing joiner out of the other wing obviously means taking a hacksaw to that as well.
The best bet is to remove a narrow section of lower skin covering the joiner to expose the joint between the main spar & joiner assembly. Then cut each side of the joiner assembly (through ply), leaving the spars intact.
Once the assembly is out, clean up the spar edges ready for new joiner assembly to be epoxied back in place.
Any remaining gaps at the rear can be filled with foam/balsa as this is not structural.

Just seen latest post saying that you have a straight through Fuz joiner. If you only have a single, straight Fuz tube then the dihedral has to be in each wing joiner assembly.
The above story still holds, it’s just that each wing joiner assembly has to be made with appropriate joiner angle incorporated & joiner tube exiting at correct height at the root end.

The only issue is if the joiners were fitted between the wing main spars, but I’m pretty sure that the separation is insufficient to allow for a strip to fit plus the dihedral angle along the joiner length.

By the way, if you have a single straight fuselage joiner then it’s just as easy to fit tubes to the wings instead of fixed steel strips, then you only need a single removeable joiner strip & nothing sticking out of the wings for transport/storage.
Peter
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Another idea is to cut the wings with a saw along the length of the wings next to the spar .then you can get at the joiner tubes and remove them .then add a ply web along the spars the hole length then glue it all back together again. This way you can strengthen the wing up.you can also epoxy carbon tape to the ply web. If you do remove the tubes ok you can use a carbon tube in the wings and a steel rod for a joiner. I now use that method it all of my gliders now. I buy the tube off karkan carbon on eBay and stainless rod from rino steels off eBay. A bit of work I no if you do not want to get new ones.
Cain

Post by Cain »

Might be a blessing in disguise, replacing the whole spar and box definitely the better idea, I will also be confident of strength and fit. Thank you gentlemen