• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

WHO'S BUILDING WHAT FOR 2020...?

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Barry_Cole

Re: WHO'S BUILDING WHAT FOR 2020...?

Post by Barry_Cole »

Brilliant...

Nice flying too...

:D :D :D :D

BC
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

A beautifully finished project Olli, nice to see something different. It looked very graceful in the air and topped off with a nicely executed landing.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Successful maiden for the Gull at CMFC yesterday...
Attachments
Image2.jpg
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5597 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5636.JPG
IMG_5679.JPG
P1280263.JPG
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Well done Chris :)
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Ah that takes me back.............very nice.
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Very nice!
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Very nice model. A little bit of extra scale detail of this restored version of the only one ever built is a Slingsby logo on the fin and alongside the canopy, q.e.d. If you feel like going further, the glider had an extra window behind the canopy. This was so Prince Bira's dog," Titch", had something to look out of. I bet you don't forget that bit of history in a hurry. The Prince named his glider "Kittiwake" when he owned it
Attachments
Restoration_20.jpg
Restoration_18.jpg
Prince Bira Gull_16.jpg
Prince Bira Gull_16.jpg (5.9 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Restoration_37.jpg
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

A brief history of Prince Bira

The son of Prince Bhanurangsi Savangwongse and the grandson of HM King Mongkut of Siam, Prince Birabongse (generally known as Prince Bira or, when racing as B Bira) came to Europe in 1927 for an education at Eton and Cambridge University.
He started racing in 1935 in a team run by his cousin, Prince Chula, and he soon became known for his car which he painted pale blue and yellow, the national colours of Siam. The reasons behind his decision to race were simple. "At the age of 19, I went to watch racing at Brooklands," he said. "I saw a beautiful girl, Kay Petre, and she was a great racing driver. And so I said, 'Well, my God, how could I make this girl?' And the only way was to get near her. That's how I was introduced into the racing game." Later in the season his cousin gave him an ERA R2B, named Romulus, for his 21st birthday which he raced with success.
In 1936 the princes bought a second ERA (Remus) which they raced in Britain, retaining Romulus for overseas competition. Chula also bought a Masarati. Bira won the Coupe de Prince Rainier at Monte Carlo, and was victorious in another four arces.
But despite this promising start, the remaining pre-war years were more of a struggle despite lavish expenditure on equipment and expertise. During the war he lived in Cornwall and took up gliding, setting several records.
After the war, Bira returned to racing but was not seriously competitive as he generally drove outdated vehicles. In 1954, in a Masarati 250F which was up with the pace, he won the Grand Prix des Frontières on the Chimay road circuit and then finished fourth in the 1954 French Grand Prix with his own Maserati.
In January 1955, he won the New Zealand Grand Prix at Ardmore, but promptly retired. "I woke up the next morning," he recalled, "and said to myself, well, what are we doing here? Cups, girls, cars … maybe you're dead the next day. And I quit."
He returned to live in Thailand although he maintained a European base in the form of a schooner berthed at Cannes and a home at Mandelieu. He also continued to pursue his other interest of sailing, representing his country at the 1956, 1960, 1964 and 1972 Olympics. He was also a skilled sculptor whose work was exhibited at the Royal Academy.
In later years his business failed as did his marriages and he returned to Europe and eventually to England. His end was undignified for such a flamboyant character. He died at London's Baron's Court station but nobody knew who is was, and only after Scotland Yard became involved was his identity discovered. 
Martin Williamson
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Just about finished a 4.1m 1/5 scale Jantar 2 from an old Modelbau Wanitschek kit I picked up some years ago.
The foam wing was given a substantial full span spar & improved joiner arrangement upgrade during the build.
Just rigged in its final form to get an idea of the nose weight required (420g).
Overall weight will be approx 3.4Kg.
Attachments
4127248D-22F7-4509-BC95-8A82C7BA3CE0.jpeg
A9B79432-8666-4B24-AB09-096BB771685D.jpeg
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

In a nice piece of serendipity, I also once had a dog called Tich... ;)