• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Servo cutout in a epoxy tailplane???????????

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
George Gosbee

Servo cutout in a epoxy tailplane???????????

Post by George Gosbee »

Hello all,
I want to put 2 elevator servos (5125)s in a 1/3 Let Ventus with a 2 channel feed to give redundancy. I'm OK with the mounting and linkages. Its the cutting of the epoxy skin that's a problem, how to cut out a approx 60mm dia hole and have the cut disk fit back in with as near perfect surface as possible. Any advice would be most welcome. :?:

George.
Off work for 3 months on full pay. (Almost like all you retired lot).
Chris Bowles

Re: Servo cutout in a epoxy tailplane???????????

Post by Chris Bowles »

Hi George, what I would do, is take a mould of the area where the servo is going to be fitted, with a couple layers of glass cloth, cut out the hole, then shape your moulded piece, this will give the best fit, or cut out the hole with a scalpel, then tape cover back and then spray over it
Chris
George Gosbee

Post by George Gosbee »

Thanks for the reply,
I was considering using a metal template with a hole in the middle that would tape over the surface and then use a scalpel to cut the disk. Has anyone tried this?
Would have to find something for the metal template as I would not be able to produce one accurate enough.

George.
catwok

Post by catwok »

Hi George, I use a metal template to cut out my servo hatches. Roughly cut out the hole, then put the template in place and use a Dremel with a drum sander. This produces a nice neat hole with rounded corners.
Attachments
20200405_220537.jpg
20180110_213226.jpg