• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1:2.5 Scale KA8 Upgrade

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
John Vella

Re: 1:2.5 Scale KA8 Upgrade

Post by John Vella »

Cliff is right. I would like to point out that some of us have an extensive background in full size flying in gliders and jets. We are in this forum because of a love of scale soaring. A K8 with a turbine is not scale soaring by any definition.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Euan, you are developing serious signs of Corona Virus
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Euan Galloway wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 19:16 So not every ones style of flying then ? , still not got the hang of flying the tug and my glider at the same time so I do lots of slope flying and yes i enjoy a bit of aerobatics with most of my models and certainly proved the wing spar upgrades work .
Turbines have been fitted to many different full size gliders for self launch and i don't see the problem with doing it .
Maybe that is true of some glass ships, but something like a K8 would need to be strengthened up considerably to take the forces that would and could be induced using a turbine on such an airframe. Mind you the heat generated would keep the covering taught.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Cliff Evans wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 19:39 '..........................and will probably go out flying them.Much the same as nappies really!!
...and the day started so well :(
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

John Vella wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 08:55 Cliff is right. I would like to point out that some of us have an extensive background in full size flying in gliders and jets. We are in this forum because of a love of scale soaring. A K8 with a turbine is not scale soaring by any definition.
John this is a model K8 not full size had I known how much negativity my post would cause I would not have bothered it was only to highlight the successful modifications done to my K8 and others .Perhaps this is not the forum for me .
regards Euan.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Calm down everyone. Let's not get all upset again, this is not the time.

Everyone to their own version of what we do, and bear in mind that what we do is often controlled by what we are able to do, and where we are able to do it.

Just enjoy the reports of what others are doing, and not condem them for the way they are doing it.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Euan, people are only expressing opinions, no need for anyone to get upset. And I must add that someone posting an opinion should NOT stop you posting. Please post as much as you like on the subject. As much as I don't like the use of turbines on vintage gliders I am still interested in your opinions and your experiences with it. Don't look upon post as being "negative", they are and should be taken as opinions not, condemnations.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Well said that man...

:D :D :D :D

BC
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

Crikey,
I don't visit the forum for a few days and a small war breaks out. :lol: Well I am glad to see that peace has been declared now.
I have been busy doing various modifications Including beefing up the ribs at the end of the wing tubes. I realise that yours did hold Euan, but from an engineering perspective, they just made me cringe.
I have also been covering the winges with diatex 1000, although the dope tin has not been opened yet. Covering the main panels took several hours each just because of the acreage to cover but the results so far are pretty good. It has not bubbled up at all which is a good sign. The wingtips were altogether easier and I was pleased how the fabric shrunk around the wingtips.
I have modified the ailerons to be top hinged as the full size, as well as just looking neater. I have also made them the correct length are they were too short and different lengths. I have added 1/16th ply end ribs to hep prevent the fabric pulling the aileron ends in.
I am just working on the fuselage now. I have removed the "boat keel" shape at the bottom front fuselage and added a laminate of two layers of 1/8th ply shaped to fit in to the recess I had made. I will make proper nose and tail skids.
I had already replaced the upper side panels with 1/8th ply and the lower panels with 1/4 ply. I am now making a snake type canopy catch, rather than the silly plastic bolt to hold the canopy on. Then I need to drill out the nose for an aluminium tube to carry the tow release.
John