• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

CoG for a Valenta Salto

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
terry white

Re: CoG for a Valenta Salto

Post by terry white »

Hi Richard, great build thread and video. I agree with all you have said in the thread.My Salto is 6 years old now.Three years ago i turned her into a FES machine using a hacker motor, taking 8 cells, turning a 18x10 prop. I did this because our Purbeck slopes do not generate the kind of lift that the Salto is at home in.I have never looked back. On the flat or on the slope,and in marginal lift I launch under full power for approx 10 seconds to reach full aerobatic height,switch the motor off and have a ball. Any one thinking of doing this should not hesitate.

For those thinking this is not real silent gliding where I can circle all day looking for thermals to keep me a float.Well I do that as well but with models meant for that purpose. Horses for courses and all that. ;) ;)
Richard Onslow

Post by Richard Onslow »

Hi Terry, yes definitely horses for courses. I keep the Salto purely for sloping in medium to high winds, when it really comes alive. I'm looking for my next scale glider to be suited to milder conditions, both on slope and flat field, and potentially suited to FES. The Paritech DG 600 Evo has caught my eye, but the FES conversion looks a bit tricky due to limited space in the nose and I don't want to spoil the scale looks.
Mark Wilcockson

Post by Mark Wilcockson »

Richard

I am just fitting out a Paritech DG600 ready for flat slope soaring later this year. If you need any pictures / measurements let me know. Mine will be a pure glider version

Well worth discussion with John at Soarstream who imports them and has provided me with loads of help and advise.
Richard Onslow

Post by Richard Onslow »

Thank you very much for the offer Mark, I may take you up on it if I decide to go the FES route, but right now I'm leaning towards a pure glider configuration.

I've been in touch with John at Soarstream and he was very helpful in narrowing down my selection. It's funny how, when you talk to people, you discover that what you thought you wanted isn't actually what you really want!

I will be very interested to see any photos/videos of your DG 600 that you decide to post here or elsewhere.

Cheers, Richard
Mark Wilcockson

Post by Mark Wilcockson »

Richard

I had mine largely fitted out so I just have to fit the servos. Very happy with the quality and fit out. I will drop a few photos on the thread as I get finished Drop me a pm if you want more details

Mark
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Richard, The Paritech DG 600 is a great idea for your next model. During the past few years our slopes have been host to the Paritech team arranged by Phil Hoegar and Andy Shaffer a number of times and so we were lucky enough to go over their models and see them fly first hand. All Paritech stuff is first rate and in my book one of the top producers of models today.
I am just finishing the build from scratch of my 1/3 scale DG800, (not a million miles away from the 600 fus shape) which due to illness and things in the way probably will not see the slopes until late this year or next. This has been built with a FES up front but with a shaft that slides in and out of a small hole in the nose which looks no different to a nose release when the prop is not installed. NO cutting the nose off and creating a spinner. The motor is fitted a little way back from the nose on former's, the prop shaft slides through the nose and a ball race onto the motor shaft and connected with a shaft coupler. This setup is very,very easy to install. I have all the details for you or anyone interested along with what is needed and where to buy.
All the best with your project, A few pics and a video for for you .Regards Terry

Attachments
DSCN0555.JPG
DSCN0552.JPG
rick with salto.jpg
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Thanks Richard, for the comments and the link to your build log.

Regards
Mike
Richard Onslow

Post by Richard Onslow »

You're welcome Mike.
terry white wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 12:23
All the best with your project, A few pics and a video for for you .Regards Terry

Thanks Terry. What an amazing video!
MDev

Post by MDev »

KTS DS125MG all round. 😀

M
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Thanks for the servo info Mark.

Rgds
Mike