• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

CoG for a Valenta Salto

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
MDev

CoG for a Valenta Salto

Post by MDev »

Anyone else fly the Valenta Salto and can suggest a good starting point for the CoG? Might even get a fly this year!

M
IanT-White

Re: CoG for a Valenta Salto

Post by IanT-White »

My friend has recently bought and been flying a Valenta Salto , he has experimented with the cg position and I will ask him to reply to your post ,
but his version is fitted with a nose mounted brushless motor , regards Ian Turney-White
Piers Palfreman

Post by Piers Palfreman »

I have the electrified version mentioned by IT-W.
I bought my Salto (4.5m version without winglets) second hand from a very experienced flyer who had set the c of g at 89mm. I have experimented with the balance and ended up back where he had it. The previous owner only ever sloped it. I have only flown it from flat field, so it would suggest that this is a good all round position.
He did warn me what it could be like if not correctly balanced or mishandled!! Don’t use too much elevator at low speed.
PP
Richard Onslow

Post by Richard Onslow »

Plans call for 93mm from L/E. Mine is set at 88mm and it flies well.
terry white

Post by terry white »

Mines 85mm no vices unless you slow it down too much. As has already been said before do so at your peril they bite hard. :x
With a v tail the two elevators coming up together makes for a good air brake at the back end. too much elevator will induce a flick, especially at the top of a loop..
Last edited by terry white on 08 Jun 2020, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
MDev

Post by MDev »

Thanks chaps, I tend to take manufacturers figures with two large handfuls of salt, having been caught out more than once. If two people on here trust their gliders to these figures then that’s a good start?
Long may the forum reign.
Ta.
M
Piers Palfreman

Post by Piers Palfreman »

As a post script:
Don’t be tempted to go too far forward, as you will need lots of up elevator trim to fly level, and then you are only a twitch away from a nasty flick and a three turn spin!
Flown fast they are great.
MDev

Post by MDev »

👍👍👍👍👍

M
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Terry and others

As a supplementary to the C of G question, what size servos are you planning to install, or have you installed, in your Salto?

I have seen installations with Hitec 125s, 4.8v, through to 2S LiPo systems with 11kg servos.

Regards
Mike
Richard Onslow

Post by Richard Onslow »

Mike, you could check out my Salto build log, which answers all those questions...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... alto-H-101

Richard
PS The Salto needs to be flown fast or it'll bite. I'd steer clear of low torque / LV servos.