Page 1 of 1

The call of the hills...

Posted: 12 Sep 2020, 21:01
by Jolly Roger
I like all model gliding but I love flying off a hill the most.
There is the drama of the launch, the landscape dropping away at your feet and the final push as your fingertips leave the fuselage.
Then the exhilaration as the model swoops out, gaining speed until the wings curve upwards and you can breathe again.
Will you gain height in a stately fashion, or scoot along the slope edge exploring every contour?
All the while, fresh air is funnelled into your face and the soundtrack is pure nature: wind, wing-whoosh and birdsong.
Time can pass without fear of stalled engines or flat LiPos. The hill gives the glider everything it needs.
I flew this evening in stupendous lift and then landed just before the sun settled onto the Pennines so that I could watch the light do pretty things with the clouds. It was lovely and I walked home with a spring in my stride.

Re: The call of the hills...

Posted: 12 Sep 2020, 22:05
by RobbieB
Had a day like that myself today Rog - and the slope to myself, although the Skylark leaving my hand into a light breeze was indeed a relief!

Soared with kites, ravens and buzzards and as a bonus, glorious views across to the Berwyn mountains and Snowdonia in the late afternoon sunshine. Batteries (mine, that is) recharged.

Posted: 13 Sep 2020, 08:26
by terry white
Hey guys that's almost poetry, I'm going to charge up the batteries now see you up there!! ;) ;)

Posted: 13 Sep 2020, 17:34
by Barry_Cole
A great day was had at White Sheet today, by 20+ fliers.

I am shure that photos will follow.

BC

Posted: 14 Sep 2020, 09:19
by B Sharp
SPOT ON Rog! That's what does it for me as well.
Brian. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Posted: 14 Sep 2020, 16:23
by John Mcnamara
I am pretty sure I know where you were flying from Roger. If it is, I wonder if you still need permission to fly there? Kepwick?
John

Posted: 14 Sep 2020, 17:04
by Peter Balcombe
Above Gormire lake?

Posted: 14 Sep 2020, 23:11
by Jolly Roger
You're right Peter, the photos are above Lake Gormire and our home. Apparently it's in the title sequence for "A Yorkshire Vet".

John - I do sometimes fly above Kepwick, on Black Hambleton hill. It is a much bigger, wilder hill that generates oodles of smooth lift and it has excellent land-out options (unlike Gormire!) but it is a good hour walk from my house, so I tend to fly over the lake instead. There is a road right to the top of Black Hambelton if you want to fly something heavy.

I don't think there are any restrictions on model glider flying at Black Hambleton although I avoid during grouse-shooting season. The National Park Wardens have always been very friendly.

Posted: 16 Sep 2020, 20:46
by StephenB
Thank you Roger, lovely, elemental stuff. In my book nothing beats slope soaring, the purest form of flying.

Posted: 17 Sep 2020, 18:32
by FrankS
Yep, perfect sentiments. Although I fly more power as the club site is only 5 mins away, flying from our favourite local slope leaves me with a much bigger glow, and that's not just the walk up :D

Posted: 17 Sep 2020, 20:22
by Ian Davis
Roger those words are so powerful I can almost imagine I'm there with you instead of being in my pestilential prison with a lifelong lock.