• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Designing and drawing plans on...

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Nigel Argall

Designing and drawing plans on...

Post by Nigel Argall »

Not sure which part of the forum to put this on so apologies if it should have been under 'equipment'. I want to draw up some plans but what do you draw on? I've used B & Q lining paper in the past but it is poor quality and gets brittle. I know some of you use CAD so i assume the print shop makes this decision for you when you get the plan printed. I'm old school (pen, straight edge, french curves etc) so need to draw ON to something. 'Drafting paper' perhaps? I've found this but would love to hear what any of you use. Thanks as always in advance.
https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/offi ... lsrc=aw.ds
Jolly Roger

Re: Designing and drawing plans on...

Post by Jolly Roger »

I'm sure that would do the trick Nigel. As always with paper, just be aware of it expanding/contracting with changing moisture levels. Even just 0.5% would be 10mm on a quarter scale fus.
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Plotter paper is good, a 50mtr roll of 80gm anything between £12 - £25. Loads on ebay.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Noël Rumers

Post by Noël Rumers »

Hi Nigel,

I ordered in June 2020 from Graphic Design Supplies, GDS, a roll of:
GDS-DMMDF8984120 GDS double matt manual drafting film 89 micron being 841 mm wide and 20 m long.
See other sizes on the site.

This film is moistures proof at all times and you can with an old class ink pen design very fine lines on it.
Mistakes can be scratched away and new lines can be drawn at the back being perfect in a print...

A friend build once a half fuselage in a dry and sunny week, the other half was build the next week, being wet and very moistures, the result was that no former fitted and that one fuselage half was about 40 mm longer than the other...
The film would prevent that from happening!!!

See my latest design waiting to be build, time...

All the best and success,
Noël
Attachments
SGS 1-30 cross section fuselage elevator and rudder.pdf
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 191 times
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

Thanks one and all - very helpful as always.
mikeyc38

Post by mikeyc38 »

Noël Rumers wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 23:30 Hi Nigel,

I ordered in June 2020 from Graphic Design Supplies, GDS, a roll of:
GDS-DMMDF8984120 GDS double matt manual drafting film 89 micron being 841 mm wide and 20 m long.
See other sizes on the site.

This film is moistures proof at all times and you can with an old class ink pen design very fine lines on it.
Mistakes can be scratched away and new lines can be drawn at the back being perfect in a print...

A friend build once a half fuselage in a dry and sunny week, the other half was build the next week, being wet and very moistures, the result was that no former fitted and that one fuselage half was about 40 mm longer than the other...
The film would prevent that from happening!!!

See my latest design waiting to be build, time...

All the best and success,
Noël
Lovely drawing Nigel! - Were you an engineer / draftsman by profession?

Regards
Mike Campbell
Dave Cooper

Post by Dave Cooper »

Hi Nigel

I'm pretty sure some of the guys I worked with at Airbus used film (as well as CAD of course). This was for most of the old 'pre-CAD' drawings eg Concorde, Brittania etc where they had to keep tech' manuals up-to-date.

I remember seeing "Drawing Office Supplies" (DOS) printed in the I/D corner boxes, giving version numbers etc. I've also seen the name on racing car detail design and general arrangement drawings. I think they had a place in Bristol but can't remember exactly where - maybe a Google or two ?

Paper was sometimes used for technical illustration work, ie non-dimension-critical stuff. I think this may have gone film as well though for consistency and ease of copying...

Good luck with your project,
Dave
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Nigel - the early drawings were done on Linen which was treated with a smooth surface. How do I know? I worked in a drawing office at that time and my wife was also a 'Tracer' who copied the draughtsman's drawings on to linen for archive purposes
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Back in the 70s & 80s when I was working a Electronics Design Engineer, all of our drawings were produced manually in the Drawing Office on a film material, with ink draughting pens. The draughtsmen used electric erasers (like mini drills fitted with hard rubber eraser bits) to remove lines when changes were required!
This included all of the PCB designs which were laboriously taped up at something like 4x full size using black tape strips & pad stickers of various sizes after having first mapped out the track paths with chinagraph pencils on draughting sheets. Again, any alterations involved a labourious process of removing material & re-laying tracks & pads!
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

That brings back lots of treasured memories. ;)