• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

NSFK Winches

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Paul_Williams

NSFK Winches

Post by Paul_Williams »

Here is a new years challenge..........

Does anyone know what engines were used in NSFK glider winches and the sort of launch heights that provided. ??

I have a very vague memory of reading that some NSFK winches came to the UK after the war and of course some continued in use with the RAFGSA.
Paul
Barry Atkinson

Re: NSFK Winches

Post by Barry Atkinson »

When we converted from The T61(Venture) motor glider at 625 VGS South Cerney to the G103 (Viking) in Spring 1985 we were provided with an old twin drum winch, which I guess came from another unit and was powered by a Bedford 28hp straight six as I remember.
Launch heights at Cerney were quite variable depending on wind direction and thus length of cable out. SW was best and 1,100ft was considered good.
8 minutes was about it without a thermal. Very different to the 1 hour standard training sorties normally flown in the Venture.
Paul_Williams

Re: NSFK Winches

Post by Paul_Williams »

Thank for the observations Barry. My old club acquired an ancient winch and there was some concern that it wouldn't have the grunt to launch a two seater, so an old Austin Maxi was tried instead ! The CFI was suitably impressed :D

However, it's specifically NSFK winches I am trying to get some information on.

Paul